Supply-Side Triggers for Inflation in Austria
The supply-side analysis of sectors that have determined price developments in Austria since fall 2007 strongly suggests a lack of competition in the following industries in the medium term: processing and wholesaling of dairy products, pasta production, electricity and gas supply, cement production, and pharmaceutical retailing. Signs of weak competition are less clear but apparent in the following industries: production of fats and oils, clothes retailing, production and wholesaling of pharmaceuticals, car parts trade, sewage disposal and garbage collection. There are few or no indications of a lack of competition in: baked goods production, grain wholesaling, food retailing, home centers, production and wholesaling of construction materials, gas stations and footwear retailing. In food retailing, legitimate business strategies may have contributed to price developments. Moreover, price increases may to some extent have been caused by data limitations (use of shelf inventory data rather than scanner data) and by second-round effects on the part of firms, which find it easier to raise prices in an environment of generally rising prices. Additional in-depth analyses are necessary for a wide range of industries. Economic policymakers may intensify competition in pharmaceutical retailing (by enforcing prescriptions of generic rather than brand-name drugs) and the garbage collection industry (by changing the fee system). Restricting the concentration of regional or local sales units and establishing an integrated European energy market would unlock a (limited) potential for reducing inflation in foods and energy. Policymakers should envisage implementing changes above all in the service sector, which determines inflationary trends in Austria in the medium term. Measures needed to enhance competition include improving data sources, monitoring competition based on economic data, strengthening the competition authority, reforming regulations to ease market entry and to strengthen competition, and increasing price transparency.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7405
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7499
Web page: http://www.oenb.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roeger, Werner, 1995. "Can Imperfect Competition Explain the Difference between Primal and Dual Productivity Measures? Estimates for U.S. Manufacturing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(2), pages 316-30, April.
- Philippe Aghion & Nicholas Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2002.
"Competition and innovation: an inverted U relationship,"
IFS Working Papers
W02/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Philippe Aghion & Nick Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2005. "Competition and Innovation: an Inverted-U Relationship," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(2), pages 701-728.
- Philippe Aghion & Nicholas Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2002. "Competition and Innovation: An Inverted U Relationship," NBER Working Papers 9269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Howitt, Peter & Griffith, Rachel & Aghion, Philippe & Blundell, Richard & Bloom, Nick, 2005. "Competition and Innovation: An Inverted-U Relationship," Scholarly Articles 4481507, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Jerry Hausman, 2003. "Sources of Bias and Solutions to Bias in the Consumer Price Index," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 23-44, Winter.
- Harald Badinger & Fritz Breuss, 2005. "Has Austriaâ€™s Accession to the EU Triggered an Increase in Competition? A Sectoral Markup Study," Empirica, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 145-180, 06.
- Paul Cavelaars, 2003. "Does Competition Enhancement Have Permanent Inflation Effects?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 69-94, February.
- P.A.D. Cavelaars, 2003. "Does Competition Enhancement Have Permanent Inflation Effects?," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 92, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Argia M. Sbordone, 2008.
"Globalization and inflation dynamics: the impact of increased competition,"
324, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Argia M. Sbordone, 2007. "Globalization and Inflation Dynamics: The Impact of Increased Competition," NBER Chapters, in: International Dimensions of Monetary Policy, pages 547-579 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Argia M. Sbordone, 2007. "Globalization and Inflation Dynamics: the Impact of Increased Competition," NBER Working Papers 13556, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick McCloughan & Seán Lyons & William Batt, 2007. "The Effectiveness of Competition Policy and the Price-Cost Margin: Evidence from Panel Data," Papers WP209, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003.
"Regulation, productivity and growth: OECD evidence,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(36), pages 9-72, 04.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, Productivity and Growth: OECD Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 347, OECD Publishing.
- Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2003. "Regulation, productivity, and growth : OECD evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2944, The World Bank.
- Silke J. Forbes, 2008. "THE EFFECT OF SERVICE QUALITY AND EXPECTATIONS ON CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 190-213, 03.
- Friedrich Fritzer & Ernest Gnan & Walpurga Köhler-Töglhofer & Fabio Rumler & Alfred Stiglbauer, 2008. "Current Inflation Developments in Austria," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 20–47.
- Harald Badinger, 2007. "Has the EU’s Single Market Programme Fostered Competition? Testing for a Decrese in Markup Rations in EU Industries," Working Papers 135, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Paul Conway & Véronique Janod & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2005. "Product Market Regulation in OECD Countries: 1998 to 2003," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 419, OECD Publishing.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Kraft, Kornelius, 2001.
"Unternehmensleitung und Innovationserfolg,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
01-70, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Kornelius Kraft, 2003. "Unternehmensleitung und Innovationserfolg," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 223(6), pages 641-659, November.
- Gwin, Carl R & Taylor, Beck A, 2004. "The Role of Search Costs in Determining the Relationship between Inflation and Profit Margins," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(1), pages 139-49, February.
- Raphael Anton Auer & Andreas M. Fischer, 2008.
"The Effect of Low-Wage Import Competition on U.S. Inflationary Pressure,"
2008-18, Swiss National Bank.
- Auer, Raphael & Fischer, Andreas M., 2010. "The effect of low-wage import competition on U.S. inflationary pressure," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 491-503, May.
- Auer, Raphael & Fischer, Andreas M, 2008. "The Effect of Trade with Low-Income Countries on U.S. Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 6819, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raphael Auer & Andreas M. Fischer, 2008. "The effect of trade with low-income countries on U.S. industry," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 14, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Dieter Pennerstorfer, 2009. "Spatial price competition in retail gasoline markets: evidence from Austria," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 43(1), pages 133-158, March.
- Svend Albæk & Peter Møllgaard & Per Baltzer Overgaard, 1997.
"Government-Assisted Oligopoly Coordination? A Concrete Case,"
CIE Discussion Papers
1997-03, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Albaek, Svend & Mollgaard, Peter & Overgaard, Per B, 1997. "Government-Assisted Oligopoly Coordination? A Concrete Case," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 429-43, December.
- Markus Arpa & Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Ernest Gnan & Maria Antoinette Silgoner, 2006. "Oil Price Shock, Energy Prices and Inflation – A Comparison of Austria and the EU," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 53–77.
- Jens Høj, 2007. "Competition Law and Policy Indicators for the OECD countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 568, OECD Publishing.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Daniel Hosken, 2008.
"The Effect of Mergers on Consumer Prices: Evidence from Five Selected Case Studies,"
NBER Working Papers
13859, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Daniel Hosken, 2008. "The Effect of Mergers on Consumer Prices: Evidence from Five Selected Case Studies," Working Papers 1037, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Fabienne Ilzkovitz & Adriaan Dierx & Viktoria Kovacs & Nuno Sousa, 2007. "Steps towards a deeper economic integration: the internal market in the 21st century," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 271, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- John V. Duca & David D. VanHoose, 2000. "Has Greater Competition Restrained U.S. Inflation?," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 729=741, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:onb:oenbmp:y:2008:i:2:b:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudia Kwapil)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.