The Causal Relationship between Exports and Economic Growth in the Nine Provinces of South Africa: Evidence from Panel-Granger Causality Tests
This paper examines the causal relationship between exports and growth in nine provinces of South Africa for the period 1995-2011, using panel causality analysis, which accounts for cross-section dependency and heterogeneity across regions. Our empirical results support unidirectional causality running from economic growth to exports for Mpumalanga only; a bi-directional causality between exports and economic growth for Gauteng; and no causality in any direction between economic growth and exports for the rest of provinces. This suggests that export expansion might not be an efficient strategy to improve provincial economic performance in South Africa as neither exports nor economic growth is sensitive to each other in almost all provinces.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+2712) 420 2413
Fax: (+2712) 362-5207
Web page: http://www.up.ac.za/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Aman Ullah & Takashi Yamagata, 2008.
"A bias-adjusted LM test of error cross-section independence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(1), pages 105-127, 03.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Ullah, A. & Yamagata. T., 2006. "A Bias-Adjusted LM Test of Error Cross Section Independence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0641, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Takashi Yamagata, 2005.
"Testing Slope Homogeneity in Large Panels,"
IEPR Working Papers
05.14, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Pesaran, M.H. & Yamagata. T., 2005. "Testing Slope Homogeneity in Large Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0513, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Takashi Yamagata, 2005. "Testing Slope Homogeneity in Large Panels," CESifo Working Paper Series 1438, CESifo Group Munich.
- Faridul Islam & Qazi Muhammad Adnan Hye & Muhammad Shahbaz, 2012.
"Import-economic growth nexus: ARDL approach to cointegration,"
Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(3), pages 194-214, December.
- Islam, Faridul & Adnan Hye, Qazi Muhammad & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2011. "Imports-economic growth nexus: ARDL approach to cointegration," MPRA Paper 28462, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohammad Mafizur Rahman & Muhammad Shahbaz, 2013.
"Do Imports and Foreign Capital Inflows Lead Economic Growth? Cointegration and Causality Analysis in Pakistan,"
South Asia Economic Journal,
Institute of Policy Studies of Sri Lanka, vol. 14(1), pages 59-81, March.
- Rahman, Mohammad Mafizur & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2011. "Do Imports and Foreign Capital Inflows Lead Economic Growth? Cointegration and Causality Analysis in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 29805, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 Mar 2011.
- repec:eme:jcefts:v:5:y:2012:i:3:pp:194-214 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rodrik, Dani, 2006.
"Understanding South Africa's Economic Puzzles,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5907, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Granger, Clive W. J., 2003. "Some aspects of causal relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 69-71, January.
- Awokuse, Titus O., 2007. "Causality between exports, imports, and economic growth: Evidence from transition economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 389-395, March.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., .
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and Its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 239-53, January.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004.
"Estimation and Inference in Large Heterogeneous Panels with a Multifactor Error Structure,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1331, CESifo Group Munich.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2006. "Estimation and Inference in Large Heterogeneous Panels with a Multifactor Error Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(4), pages 967-1012, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pre:wpaper:201319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rangan Gupta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.