Trade and development in the 1980s
In international circles, the concern of the day is the state of the world economy. There is a general appreciation of the severity of the problem, but no widespread agreement about either diagnosis or solutions. We shall focus here on a particular set of topics that have emerged as major issues during the last decade, and that also seem central to an understanding of the present economic situation. A characteristic of these topics is that they link international and domestic policy areas in so integral a way that neither can be analyzed in isolation from the other. They are: First, the recurrence of recession and unemployment in industrial countries, and the emergence of protectionism. Second, the changing international environment facing the developing countries and, in particular, the issues of export-led strategies and North-South trade in armaments. Third, the pricing of exhaustible resources, including oil, as a major issue in North-South trade, and in the international financial system. Fourth, the role of declining transfers of wealth from industrial to developing countries, and the perceived limitations of the existing international financial institutions.
|Date of creation:||1986|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bailey, Elizabeth E & Friedlaender, Ann F, 1982. "Market Structure and Multiproduct Industries," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(3), pages 1024-48, September.
- G. Chichilnisky & Geoffrey M. Heal, 1983. "Monetary Policies with Increasing Returns," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 662, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1981. "Terms of trade and domestic distribution : Export-led growth with abundant labour," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 163-192, April.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1980. "Basic goods, the effects of commodity transfers and the international economic order," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 505-519, December.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1988. "Resources and North-South trade: a macro analysis in open economies," MPRA Paper 8120, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Streeten, Paul & Burki, Shahid Javed, 1978. "Basic needs: Some issues," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 411-421, March.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela & Heal, Geoffrey, 1993. "Energy-Capital Substitution: A General Equilibrium Analysis," MPRA Paper 8329, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leontief, Wassily, 1977. "The future of the world economy+," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 171-182.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:8035. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.