Energy-Capital Substitution: A General Equilibrium Analysis
We consider an economy which imports energy from a monopolistic price-setter. The domestic general equilibrium of this economy adjusts in response to the price of energy. We define the total cross price elasticity of demand between energy and capital as the cross price elasticity across general equilibria of the economy, as the equilibrium changes in response to energy price changes. This corresponds to the price elasticity given by a total demand curve, and incorporates adjustments on both supply and demand sides. It is shown that whether this total elasticity implies energy-capital complementarity or substitutability depends upon the parameters of the model and the price of energy: for a given model, there may be a change from substitutability to complementarity as the price of energy rises. This framework offers an additional way of reconciling apparently conflicting findings on energy-capital complementarity and substitutability: an earlier suggestion was made by Berndt and Wood (1979). It is a natural extension of the general equilibrium approach initiated by Hogan (1977).
|Date of creation:||1993|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berndt, Ernst R & Wood, David O, 1979. "Engineering and Econometric Interpretations of Energy-Capital Complementarity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 342-354, June.
- Frank Hahn, 2010.
"Exercises in Conjectural Equilibrium,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
526, David K. Levine.
- Akerlof, George A. & Burmeister, Edwin, 1970. "Substitution in a general equilibrium framework," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 411-422, December.
- H. S. Houthakker, 1955. "The Pareto Distribution and the Cobb-Douglas Production Function in Activity Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 27-31.
- Berry, R. Stephen & Salamon, Peter & Heal, Geoffrey, 1978. "On a relation between economic and thermodynamic optima," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 125-137, October.
- Griffin, James M & Gregory, Paul R, 1976. "An Intercountry Translog Model of Energy Substitution Responses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(5), pages 845-857, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:8329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.