Trade,Financial and Growth Nexus in Pakistan
This paper empirically investigates the impact of trade and financial liberalization on economic growth in Pakistan using annual observations over the period 1961-2005. The analysis is based on the bound testing approach of cointegration advanced by Pesaran et al (2001). The empirical findings suggest that both trade and financial liberalization policies play an important role in nhancing economic growth in Pakistan in the long-run. However, the short-run responses of real deposit rate and trade policy variables are very low, suggesting further acceleration of reform process. The feedback coefficient suggests a very slow rate of adjustment towards long-run equilibrium. The estimated equation remains stable over the period of study as indicated by CUSUM and CUSUMQ stability tests.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Economic Analysis Working Papers 14.6(2007): pp. 1-24|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fase, M. M. G. & Abma, R. C. N., 2003. "Financial environment and economic growth in selected Asian countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 11-21, February.
- Anwar, Tilat, 2002. "Impact of Globalization and Liberalization on Growth, Employment and Poverty: A Case Study of Pakistan," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Batra, Ravi, 1992. "The Fallacy of Free Trade," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 19-31, November.
- Bushra Yasmin & Zainab Jehan & Muhammad Ali Chaudhary, 2006. "Trade Liberalization and Economic Development: Evidence from Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 11(1), pages 19-34, Jan-Jun.
- Tadesse, Solomon, 2002.
"Financial Architecture and Economic Performance: International Evidence,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 429-454, October.
- Solomon Tadesse, 2001. "Financial Architecture and Economic Performance: International Evidence," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 449, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jong-Wha Lee, 1992.
"International Trade, Distortions and Long-Run Economic Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
92/90, International Monetary Fund.
- Jong-Wha Lee, 1993. "International Trade, Distortions, and Long-Run Economic Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(2), pages 299-328, June.
- Thomas Barnebeck Andersen & Finn Tarp, 2003. "Financial liberalization, financial development and economic growth in LDCs," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 189-209.
- David Bernstein, 2000. "To what degree do central banks sterilize the effects of capital flows on domestic money supply?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 15-19.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Bohl, Martin T., 2000. "German monetary unification and the stability of the German M3 money demand function," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 203-208, February.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to Cross-National Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mohsin S. Khan & A. Senhadji Semlali, 2000. "Financial Development and Economic Growth; An Overview," IMF Working Papers 00/209, International Monetary Fund.
- Rivera-Batiz, Luis A. & Romer, Paul M., 1991.
"International trade with endogenous technological change,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 971-1001, May.
- Luis A. Rivera-Batiz & Paul M. Romer, 1991. "International Trade with Endogenous Technological Change," NBER Working Papers 3594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 1999.
"Financial intermediation and growth : Causality and causes,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2059, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine & Norman Loayza & Thorsten Beck, 2002. "Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 2, pages 031-084 Central Bank of Chile.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 2000. "Financial intermediation and growth: Causality and causes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 31-77, August.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine & Norman Loayza, 1999. "Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 56, Central Bank of Chile.
- Jahangir Aziz & Christoph Duenwald, 2002. "Growth-Financial Intermediation Nexus in China," IMF Working Papers 02/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Bencivenga, Valerie R & Smith, Bruce D, 1991.
"Financial Intermediation and Endogenous Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 195-209, April.
- Pablo Emilio Guidotti & Jose De Gregorio, 1992.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
92/101, International Monetary Fund.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Beck, Thorsten & Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman, 1999.
"Finance and the sources of growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2057, The World Bank.
- Kelly, Roger & Mavrotas, George, 2003. "Financial Sector Development - Futile or Fruitful? An Examination of the Determinants of Savings in Sri Lanka," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Roubini, N. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Financial development , the Trade Regime and Economic Growth," Papers 646, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:6523. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.