Influence of External Funding on Microfinance Performance
The aim of paper is to determine whether macroeconomic development and the size of banking sector affect the range of external funding and consequently the importance of these debt sources for microfinance performance. Our findings reveal that the growth of external sources is positively influenced by economic grow, level of corruption, unemployment or under certain conditions by the development of banking sector, as well. Likewise, their presence can have a positive impact on the number of clients, portfolio quality, margin or cost policy of MFIs. The opposite effect can appear if the ratio of external funding to total assets increases over time.
|Date of creation:||29 Aug 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven B. Caudill & Daniel M. Gropper & Valentina Hartarska, 2009. "Which Microfinance Institutions Are Becoming More Cost Effective with Time? Evidence from a Mixture Model," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(4), pages 651-672, June.
- Ahlin, Christian & Lin, Jocelyn & Maio, Michael, 2011. "Where does microfinance flourish? Microfinance institution performance in macroeconomic context," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 105-120, July.
- Imai, Katsushi S. & Gaiha, Raghav & Thapa, Ganesh & Annim, Samuel Kobina, 2012.
"Microfinance and Poverty—A Macro Perspective,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 1675-1689.
- Katsushi S. Imai & Ganesh Thapa & Samuel Kobina Annim, 2010. "Microfinance and Poverty -A Macro Perspective," Discussion Paper Series DP2010-30, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Katsushi S. Imai & Raghav Gaiha & Ganesh Thapa & Samuel Kobina Annim, 2010. "Microfinance and Poverty -A Macro Perspective," Discussion Paper Series DP2010-33, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Katsushi Imai & Raghav Gaiha & Ganesh Thapa & Samuel Kobina Annim, 2010. "Microfinance and Poverty A Macro Perspective," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1020, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Annabel Vanroose, 2008. "What macro factors make microfinance institutions reach out?," Working Papers CEB 08-036.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2010. "Bank activity and funding strategies: The impact on risk and returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 626-650, December.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2009. "Bank activity and funding strategies : the impact on risk and returns," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4837, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2009. "Bank Activity and Funding Strategies: The Impact on Risk and Return," CEPR Discussion Papers 7170, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Huizinga, H.P., 2009. "Bank Activity and Funding Strategies : The Impact on Risk and Return," Discussion Paper 2009-09, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bucher, Monika & Dietrich, Diemo & Hauck, Achim, 2013. "Business cycles, bank credit and crises," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 229-231.
- Annabel Vanroose & Bert D’Espallier, 2013. "Do microfinance institutions accomplish their mission? Evidence from the relationship between traditional financial sector development and microfinance institutions’ outreach and performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(15), pages 1965-1982, May.
- Annabel Vanroose & Bert D'Espallier, 2013. "Do microfinance institutions accomplish their mission? Evidence from the relationship between traditional financial sector development and microfinance institutions’ outreach and performance," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174890, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Montgomery, Heather & Weiss, John, 2011. "Can Commercially-oriented Microfinance Help Meet the Millennium Development Goals? Evidence from Pakistan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 87-109, January.
- Guush Berhane & Cornelis Gardebroek, 2010. "Does Microfinance Reduce Rural Poverty? Evidence Based on Household Panel Data from Northern Ethiopia," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(1), pages 43-55.
- Berhane, Guush & Gardebroek, Cornelis, 2009. "Does microfinance reduce rural poverty? Evidence based on household panel data from northern Ethiopia," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51472, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Laurence Pouw & Jan Kakes, 2013. "What drives bank earnings? Evidence for 28 banking sectors," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(11), pages 1062-1066, July.
- Wagner, Charlotte & Winkler, Adalbert, 2013. "The Vulnerability of Microfinance to Financial Turmoil – Evidence from the Global Financial Crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 71-90.
- Janda, Karel & Zetek, Pavel, 2013. "Macroeconomic factors influencing interest rates of microfinance institutions in Latin America," MPRA Paper 49973, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmad Nawaz, 2010. "Performance of Microfinance: The Role of Subsidies," Working Papers CEB 10-008.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Shahidur R. Khandker, 2005. "Microfinance and Poverty: Evidence Using Panel Data from Bangladesh," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 263-286.
- Khandker, Shahidur R., 2003. "Microfinance and poverty - evidence using panel data from Bangladesh," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2945, The World Bank.
- Koffi Sodokin & Charles Donou-Adonsou, 2010. "Banks, Microfinance Institutions and Economic Growth in the West African Economic and Monetary Union," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 22(4), pages 495-510.
- Love, Inessa & Turk Ariss, Rima, 2014. "Macro-financial linkages in Egypt: A panel analysis of economic shocks and loan portfolio quality," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 158-181.
- Inessa Love & Rima Turk Ariss, 2013. "Macro-Financial Linkages in Egypt: A Panel Analysis of Economic Shocks and Loan Portfolio Quality," Working Papers 798, Economic Research Forum, revised Nov 2013.
- Inessa Love & Rima Turk Ariss, 2013. "Macro-Financial Linkages in Egypt: A Panel Analysis of Economic Shocks and Loan Portfolio Quality," Working Papers 201310, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Inessa Love & Rima Turk-Ariss, 2013. "Macro-Financial Linkages in Egypt; A Panel Analysis of Economic Shocks and Loan Portfolio Quality," IMF Working Papers 13/271, International Monetary Fund.
- Vasiliki Makri & Athanasios Tsagkanos & Athanasios Bellas, 2014. "Determinants of Non-Performing Loans: The Case of Eurozone," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 61(2), pages 193-206, March.
- Ghosh, Suman & Van Tassel, Eric, 2013. "Funding microfinance under asymmetric information," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 8-15.
- Merja Festiæ & Jani Bekõ, 2008. "The Banking Sector and Macroeconomic Performance in Central European Economies," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 58(03-04), pages 131-151, May.
- Schreiner, Mark & Woller, Gary, 2003. "Microenterprise Development Programs in the United States and in the Developing World," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 1567-1580, September.
- Hollis, Aidan & Sweetman, Arthur, 1998. "Microcredit: What can we learn from the past?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1875-1891, October.
- Karel Janda & Batbayar Turbat, 2013. "Determinants of the financial performance of microfinance institutions in Central Asia," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 557-568, December.
- Bilson, Christopher M. & Brailsford, Timothy J. & Hooper, Vincent J., 2001. "Selecting macroeconomic variables as explanatory factors of emerging stock market returns," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 401-426, August.
- Ghosh, Suman & Van Tassel, Eric, 2011. "Microfinance and competition for external funding," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 168-170, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:58170. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.