Performance of Microfinance: The Role of Subsidies
Unlike conventional finance institutions, Microfinance institutions (MFIs) strive for financial sustainability but also empowerment of the poor. This social nature of MFIs is mainly financed by subsidies from donors. This paper measures the extent of subsidization in MF sector for the years 2005 and 2006 using Yaron’s Subsidy Dependence Index (SDI) which measures the social cost of subsidized MFIs in a short time frame. This latest data set has been generated from the audit reports of the 204 MFIs with 23 million borrowers in 54 Countries worldwide constituting a significant part of the microfinance outreach worldwide. Based on our subsidy calculations, for the year 2005, 153 MFIs out of 204 are subsidy dependent while for year 2006 it is 122 out of 179 MFIs. A with & without subsidy analysis of conventional financial ratios confirm the fact that MFIs financial performance declines substantially with-out subsidies. Based on the evidence, the paper also highlights the factors which contribute and dec rease the sustainability of microfinance
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Congo, Youssoufou, 2002. "Performance of Microfinance Institutions in Burkina Faso," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Morduch, Jonathan, 1999. "The role of subsidies in microfinance: evidence from the Grameen Bank," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 229-248, October.
- Khandker, S.R. & Khalily, B. & Khan, Z., 1995. "Grameen Bank: Performance and Sustainability," World Bank - Discussion Papers 306, World Bank.
- Yaron, J., 1992. "Assessing Development Finance Institutions; A Public Interest Analysis," World Bank - Discussion Papers 174, World Bank.
- Mark Schreiner, 2001.
"A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of the Grameen Bank of Bangladesh,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Mark Schreiner, 2003. "A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of the Grameen Bank of Bangladesh," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21, pages 357-382, 05.
- Mark Schreiner & Jacob Yaron, 2001. "Development Finance Institutions : Measuring Their Subsidy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13983.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sol:wpaper:10-008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.