Structural Change in Distribution Markets in Peripheral Europe: Spanish Food Retailing, 1950-2007
The processes of structural change and modernisation in the food distribution industry have been submitted to different economic and institutional frameworks in European countries. Two essential factors have affected these changes: on one hand, the role of technical, financial and organisational innovations and on the other, institutional factors. The weight of both has varied depending on the historical circumstances of the countries in consideration and their level of development. This paper discusses with the framework of the “latecomers”. In these countries, the factor of innovation has been produced in terms of appropriation, whether this is technological or organisational, usually influenced by foreign models or through direct foreign investment. The impact of these innovations has been highly conditioned by inflexible institutional surroundings. Considering the Spanish food trade in the last sixty years is a good way of dealing with the processes of structural change in Mediterranean Europe. This paper helps one understand the role taken by countries which introduced factors of innovation and growth in less favourable surroundings than those of developed Europe.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Dunning, 2001. "The Eclectic (OLI) Paradigm of International Production: Past, Present and Future," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 173-190.
- Jonathan Morris, 1998. "The Fascist 'Disciplining' of the Italian Retail Sector, 1922-40," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 138-164.
- John A. Dawson, 2007. "Scoping and conceptualising retailer internationalisation," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(4), pages 373-397, July.
- Walter, Ingo & Gray, H. Peter, 1983. "Protectionism and international banking : Sectorial efficiency, competitive structure and National policy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 597-609, December.
- Andrew Alexander & Gareth Shaw & Louise Curth, 2005. "Promoting retail innovation: knowledge flows during the emergence of self-service and supermarket retailing in Britain," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 37(5), pages 805-821, May.
- Nicholas Alexander & Gary Akehurst, 1998. "Introduction: The Emergence of Modern Retailing, 1750-1950," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 1-15.
- Gareth Shaw & Andrew Alexander, 2008. "British co-operative societies as retail innovators: Interpreting the early stages of the self-service revolution," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 50(1), pages 62-78.
- Andrew Alexander & Simon Phillips & Gareth Shaw, 2008. "Retail innovation and shopping practices: consumers’ reactions to self-service retailing," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 40(9), pages 2204-2221, September.
- Nicholas Alexander, 2011. "British overseas retailing, 1900-60: International firm characteristics, market selections and entry modes," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 53(4), pages 530-556.
- Gareth Shaw & Andrew Alexander, 2008. "British co-operative societies as retail innovators: Interpreting the early stages of the self-service revolution," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 50(2), pages 251-252.
- Adrian E Tschoegl, 1987. "International Retail Banking as a Strategy: An Assessment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(2), pages 67-88, June.
- Jose Luis Garcia Ruiz, 2007. "Cultural resistance and the gradual emergence of modern marketing and retailing practices in Spain, 1950-1975," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(3), pages 367-384.
- Andrew Alexander, 2008. "Format development and retail change: supermarket retailing and the London Co-operative Society," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 50(4), pages 489-508.
- Gareth Shaw & Louise Curth & Andrew Alexander, 2004. "Selling Self-Service and the Supermarket: The Americanisation of Food Retailing in Britain, 1945-60," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(4), pages 568-582.
- Peter Buckley, 2009. "Business history and international business," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(3), pages 307-333.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49570. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.