Spatial Analysis of Income Growth in the Philippines: Evidence from Intra-Country Data (1988 to 2009)
This paper looks at the spatial relationship of the average per capita income growth using intra-country or provincial data from 1988 to 2009. The results from the study provide insights on the geographical dimensions of provincial income growth and showed evidence on the role of spatial effects in the formal econometric analysis of intra-country income growth models. Despite the data limitations, the study provides a strong empirical evidence of the presence of positive spatial dependence or degree of similarity in the average per capita income growth of the provinces, albeit the degree of positive spatial dependence weakens in the latter periods. This positive spatial correlation suggests the provinces may be converging in terms of their income growth and they do so in movements similar to their neighbors. Moreover, the study shows that spatial dependence weakened in the latter periods (1994-2000 and 2000-2009). The weakening of spatial dependence may provide insights on the uneven provincial/regional income growth experienced in the country. One possible explanation of the weak spatial dependence is that two or more groups of neighboring provinces are growing at similar rates within the group, but at different rates across groups. This opens the possibility of having different convergence clubs (of provinces) within the country.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BAUMONT, Catherine & ERTUR, Cem & LE GALLO, Julie, 2001.
"A Spatial Econometric Analysis of Geographic Spillovers and Growth for European Regions, 1980-1995,"
LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003)
2001-04, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Catherine Baumont & Cem Ertur & Julie Le Gallo, 2001. "A spatial econometric analysis of geographic spillovers and growth for European regions, 1980-1995," Working Papers hal-01526858, HAL.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M. & Mapa, Dennis S. & Briones, Kristine Joy S., 2007. "Robust Determinants of Income Growth in the Philippines," Philippine Journal of Development PJD 2006 Vol. XXXIII Nos., Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Mellinger, 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," CID Working Papers 1, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Durlauf, Steven N. & Quah, Danny T., 1999. "The new empirics of economic growth," Handbook of Macroeconomics,in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 235-308 Elsevier.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Danny T. Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," Working Papers 98-01-012, Santa Fe Institute.
- Durlauf,S.N. & Quah,D.T., 1998. "The new empirics of economic growth," Working papers 3, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- S Durlauf & Danny Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," CEP Discussion Papers dp0384, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Danny T. Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 6422, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hal Hill & Budy P. Resosudarmo, 2012. "Introduction," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(2), pages 129-142, August.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
- Gallup, J.L. & Sachs, J.D. & Mullinger, A., 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," Papers 1, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M. & Fuwa, Nobuhiko, 2004. "Going beyond Crosscountry Averages: Growth, Inequality and Poverty Reduction in the Philippines," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1891-1907, November.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood : Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 247-267, November.
- repec:phd:pjdevt:pjd_2006_vol._xxxiii_nos._1and2-b is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:48300. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.