Regulation Policy And Credit Crunch: Evidence From Japan
This paper aims to answer the following question: what is (are) the cause(s) of the severe reduction in bank credits in Japan between 1999 and 2005? The answer to this question becomes very interesting if we know that during the above mentioned period an ultra–expansionary monetary policy has been implemented by the Bank of Japan. A theoretical lending–supply model is built. The methodological contribution of this work stands on the test of three credit crunch–hypotheses, all together. The estimation results show that during the period of study a credit crunch was, indeed, taking place and it is attributed to bankers’ precautionary behavior rather than direct regulatory capital worries. The strengthening of the regulatory environment started in 1998 can explain the conservative lending behavior of Japanese banks during the period of study.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2010|
|Date of revision:||08 May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Noriko Inakura & Satoshi Shimizutani & Ralph Paprzycki, 2005.
"Deposit Insurance and Depositor Discipline: Direct Evidence on Bank Switching Behavior in Japan,"
Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
d05-125, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Noriko Inakura & Satoshi Shimizutani, 2010. "Deposit insurance and depositor discipline: direct evidence on bank switching behaviour in Japan," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(26), pages 3401-3415.
- Heather Montgomery & Satoshi Shimizutani, 2005. "The Effectiveness of Bank Recapitalization in Japan," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d05-105, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1994.
"Did risk-based capital allocate bank credit and cause a "credit crunch" in the United States?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 585-633.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1994. "Do Risk-Based Capital Allocate Bank Credit and Cause a "Credit Crunch"' in the United States?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 585-628, August.
- Dixit, Avinash K., 1990. "Optimization in Economic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780198772101, March.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995. "Bank regulatory agreements in New England," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 15-24.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996.
"Bank Regulatory Agreements and Real Estate Lending,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 55-73.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995. "Bank regulatory agreements and real estate lending," Working Papers 95-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291, March.
- Imai, Masami, 2006.
"Market discipline and deposit insurance reform in Japan,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3433-3452, December.
- Masami Imai, 2006. "Market Discipline and Deposit Insurance Reform in Japan," Wesleyan Economics Working Papers 2006-007, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Joe Peek & Eric Rosengren, 1991.
"The capital crunch: neither a borrower nor a lender be,"
91-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995. "The Capital Crunch: Neither a Borrower nor a Lender Be," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 625-38, August.
- Joe Peek & Eric Rosengren, 1993. "The Capital Crunch: Neither A Borrower Nor A Lender Be," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 243, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Montgomery, Heather, 2005. "The effect of the Basel Accord on bank portfolios in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 24-36, March.
- Keiko Murata & Masahiro Hori, 2006. "Do Small Depositors Exit From Bad Banks? Evidence From Small Financial Institutions In Japan," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(2), pages 260-278.
- Wolfson, Martin H, 1996. "Irving Fisher's Debt-Deflation Theory: Its Relevance to Current Conditions," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(3), pages 315-33, May.
- Wako Watanabe, 2007. "Prudential Regulation and the "Credit Crunch": Evidence from Japan," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(2-3), pages 639-665, 03.
- Ray Owens, 1991. "Credit crunch?," Cross Sections, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Win, pages 1-3.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996.
"The international transmission of financial shocks: the case of Japan,"
96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric S, 1997. "The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 495-505, September.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996. "The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 357, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Shrieves, Ronald E. & Dahl, Drew, 1992. "The relationship between risk and capital in commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 439-457, April.
- Orgler, Yair E & Taggart, Robert A, Jr, 1983. "Implications of Corporate Capital Structure Theory for Banking Institutions: A Note," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 15(2), pages 212-21, May.
- Yair E. Orgler & Robert A. Taggart, Jr., 1981. "Implications of Corporate Capital Structure Theory for Banking Institutions," NBER Working Papers 0737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Wagster, 1999. "The Basle Accord of 1988 and the International Credit Crunch of 1989–1992," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 123-143, March.
- Blackwell, Norman R. & Santomero, Anthony M., 1982. "Bank credit rationing and the customer relation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 121-129.
- Stanhouse, Bryan E., 1983. "Stochastic reserve losses, bank credit expansion and Bayesian information," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 321-330.
- Saunders, Anthony & Strock, Elizabeth & Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1990. " Ownership Structure, Deregulation, and Bank Risk Taking," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 643-54, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:46827. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.