On the Size and Determinants of Inter-regional Redistribution in European Countries over the Period 1995-2009
The aim of this paper is to analyse cross-country differences in the degree of inter-regional redistribution achieved by means of taxes and expenditures in 21 European countries over the period 1995-2009. We rely on a standard approach based on the observation and comparison of both primary and disposable household income at regional scale. Once the redistributive effect in each country is quantified, we try to explain the drivers of cross-country time-series differences. According to our estimates, cross-national standard deviation is significant and much higher than time variation. Secondly, inter-regional redistribution is strongly and positively related to personal redistribution by means of taxes and social benefits in cash; and is negatively related to both the extent of regional disparities in primary income and to the degree of political and fiscal decentralization.
|Date of creation:||10 Mar 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Masson, Paul R., 1995.
"Fiscal flows in the United States and Canada: Lessons for monetary union in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 253-274, February.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Masson, Paul R, 1994. "Fiscal Flows in the United States and Canada: Lessons for Monetary Union in Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1057, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ralf Hepp & Jürgen von Hagen, 2012.
"Fiscal Federalism in Germany: Stabilization and Redistribution Before and After Unification,"
Publius: The Journal of Federalism,
Oxford University Press, vol. 42(2), pages 234-259, April.
- Hepp, Ralf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2009. "Fiscal Federalism in Germany: Stabilization and Redistribution Before and After Unification," CEPR Discussion Papers 7246, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hepp, Ralf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2009. "Fiscal federalism in Germany: Stabilization and redistribution before and after unification," ZEI Working Papers B 01-2009, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Ralf Hepp & JÃ¼rgen von Hagen, 2009. "Fiscal Federalism in Germany: Stabilization and Redistribution Before and After Unification," Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series dp2009-06, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
- Hepp, Ralf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2010. "Fiscal federalism in Germany: Stabilization and redistribution before and after unification," ZEI Working Papers B 02-2010, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Núria Bosch & Marta Espasa & Pilar Sorribas, 2002.
"La capacidad redistributiva y estabilizadora del presupuesto del Gobierno Central Español,"
2002/1, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Nuria Bosch & Marta Espasa & Pilar Sorribas, 2002. "La capacidad redistributiva y estabilizadora del presupuesto del gobierno central español," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 160(1), pages 47-76, march.
- Maria Flavia Ambrosanio & Massimo Bordignon & Floriana Cerniglia, 2008.
"Constitutional reforms, fiscal decentralization and regional fiscal flows in Italy,"
DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza
ief0084, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Maria Flavia Ambrosanio & Massimo Bordignon & Floriana Cerniglia, 2010. "Constitutional Reforms, Fiscal Decentralization and Regional Fiscal Flows in Italy," Chapters, in: The Political Economy of Inter-Regional Fiscal Flows, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Giovanni Peri, 1998. "Regional non-adjustment and fiscal policy," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 205-259, 04.
- Decressin, Jorg, 2002. "Regional income redistribution and risk sharing: how does Italy compare in Europe?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 287-306, November.
- Melitz, Jacques & Zumer, Frederic, 2002. "Regional redistribution and stabilization by the center in Canada, France, the UK and the US:: A reassessment and new tests," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 263-286, November.
- Santiago Lago Peñas, 2001. "Redistribución y Estabilización Macroeconómica en las Regiones Españolas: 1967-1993," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 158(3), September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:45406. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.