Dynamic relationship between energy consumption and income in Tunisia: A SVECM approach
This study examines the short-run and long-run dynamics binding energy consumption to GDP using a structural vector error correction (SVECM) model during the period 1971-2009. In addition, a comparative study between Tunisia,the USA and Sweden is conducted. Results spread over two axes. First,the cyclical component of the model indicates that the instantaneous impact of a short run shock on energy is generally positive. However, the impact of this shock on output is positive in the USA and Sweden and negative in Tunisia. Therefore, it seems that unlike a small country like Tunisia where the productive system is directly penalized, developed countries are better able to cope with a transitory shock and find alternatives to productivity gains. Secondly concerning the trend component of the model, we conclude that the effect of a long run shock on energy consumption is positive in Tunisia while it is negative in the USA and Sweden. The eﬀect of a long run shock on production for both the developed countries is positive and increasing. This findings seems interesting insofar as it reﬂects the willingness of developed countries substitute current energy sources by renewable and cleaner sources. It also reﬂects Tunisian dependence to current sources of electricity.
|Date of creation:||15 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Narayan, Seema & Prasad, Arti, 2008. "A structural VAR analysis of electricity consumption and real GDP: Evidence from the G7 countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2765-2769, July.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Ozturk, Ilhan, 2010. "A literature survey on energy-growth nexus," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 340-349, January.
- Wolde-Rufael, Yemane, 2005. "Energy demand and economic growth: The African experience," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 891-903, November.
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2005.
"Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data,"
2005:11, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2005.
"Testing for Panel Cointegration with Multiple Structural Breaks,"
2005:12, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Joakim Westerlund, 2006. "Testing for Panel Cointegration with Multiple Structural Breaks," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(1), pages 101-132, 02.
- Arouri, Mohamed El Hedi & Ben Youssef, Adel & M'henni, Hatem & Rault, Christophe, 2012.
"Energy consumption, economic growth and CO2 emissions in Middle East and North African countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 342-349.
- Arouri, Mohamed El Hedi & Ben Youssef, Adel & M'henni, Hatem & Rault, Christophe, 2012. "Energy Consumption, Economic Growth and CO2 Emissions in Middle East and North African Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 6412, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Adel Ben Youssef & Hatem M'Henni & Christophe Rault, 2012. "Energy consumption, economic growth and CO2 emissions in Middle East and North African countries," Post-Print halshs-01068261, HAL.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Adel Ben Youssef & Hatem M'Henni & Christophe Rault, 2012. "Energy Consumption, Economic Growth and CO2 Emissions in Middle East and North African Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 3726, CESifo Group Munich.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, March.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00287137 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 1992. "Granger-causality in cointegrated VAR processes The case of the term structure," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 263-268, November.
- Eggoh, Jude C. & Bangake, Chrysost & Rault, Christophe, 2011.
"Energy consumption and economic growth revisited in African countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 7408-7421.
- Jude C. Eggoh & Chrysost Bangaké & Christophe Rault, 2011. "Energy Consumption and Economic Growth Revisited in African Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 3590, CESifo Group Munich.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Belloumi, Mounir, 2009. "Energy consumption and GDP in Tunisia: Cointegration and causality analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2745-2753, July.
- Sari, Ramazan & Soytas, Ugur, 2007. "The growth of income and energy consumption in six developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 889-898, February.
- Ozturk, Ilhan & Aslan, Alper & Kalyoncu, Huseyin, 2010. "Energy consumption and economic growth relationship: Evidence from panel data for low and middle income countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4422-4428, August.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 1992. "Impulse response analysis of cointegrated systems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 53-78, January.
- Park, Chuhwan & Chung, Mo & Lee, Sukgyu, 2011. "The effects of oil price on regional economies with different production structures: A case study from Korea using a structural VAR model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 8185-8195.
- Wolde-Rufael, Yemane, 2006. "Electricity consumption and economic growth: a time series experience for 17 African countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1106-1114, July.
- Michael Kumhof & Dirk Muir, 2012. "Oil and the World Economy; Some Possible Futures," IMF Working Papers 12/256, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:44539. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.