Animal spirits, liquidity-preference and Keynesian behavioural macroeconomics: An intertemporal framework
Abstract The utilization of a real-interest rate rule in Romer’s new-Keynesian IS-MP approach, which is consistent with new synthesis intertemporal baseline macroeconomic models, provides a contemporary alternative to the standard old-Keynesian IS-LM model and moves back the emphasis on general accounts of the macroeconomic process. Despite its merits, the IS-MP approach neglects completely the influence of the liquidity-preference typically associated in pure Keynes framework with the impact of confidence and animal spirits. In the present article, we show how the macroeconomic process takes place in terms of both a real interest-rate rule and liquidity-preference through the yield curve. This new synthesis, which is shown to be consistent with standard intertemporal analysis, proves to be useful not only because it maintains the illustrative advantages of either the old-Keynesian model with respect to liquidity-preference or the new-Keynesian model with respect to the interest-rate rule but also because it can be utilized as an effective communicative tool among different strands of economic thought.
|Date of creation:||16 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Shiller, 2010. "How Should the Financial Crisis Change How We Teach Economics?," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 403-409, September.
- Peter Howells & Iris Biefang-Frisancho Mariscal, 2006.
"Monetary Policy Regimes. A Fragile Consensus,"
International Journal of Political Economy,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 35(1), pages 62-83, April.
- Shiller Robert J., 2009. "Policies to Deal with the Implosion in the Mortgage Market," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(3), pages 1-25, March.
- David Romer, 2000.
"Keynesian Macroeconomics without the LM Curve,"
NBER Working Papers
7461, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Woodford, 2010. "Financial Intermediation and Macroeconomic Analysis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(4), pages 21-44, Fall.
- Matthew Canzoneri & Robert Cumby & Behzad Diba & David Lãpez-Salido, 2008.
"Monetary Aggregates and Liquidity in a Neo-Wicksellian Framework,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(8), pages 1667-1698, December.
- Matthew Canzoneri & Robert Cumby & Behzad Diba & David López-Salido, 2008. "Monetary aggregates and liquidity in a neo-Wicksellian framework," Working Paper Research 141, National Bank of Belgium.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Cumby, Robert & Diba, Behzad & López-Salido, J David, 2008. "Monetary Aggregates and Liquidity in a Neo-Wicksellian Framework," CEPR Discussion Papers 6813, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew Canzoneri & Robert E. Cumby & Behzad Diba & David Lopez-Salido, 2008. "Monetary Aggregates and Liquidity in a Neo-Wicksellian Framework," NBER Working Papers 14244, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George A. Akerlof, 2002.
"Behavioral Macroeconomics and Macroeconomic Behavior,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 411-433, June.
- Akerlof, George A., 2001. "Behavioral Macroeconomics and Macroeconomic Behavior," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 2001-4, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, June.
- Fisher, W.H. & Turnovsky, S.J., 1991.
"Fiscal Policy and the term Structure of Interest Rates: An Intertemporal Optimizing Analysis,"
91-20, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Fisher, Walter H & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1992. "Fiscal Policy and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: An Intertemporal Optimizing Analysis," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(1), pages 1-26, February.
- Fisher, W.H. & Turnovsky, S.J., 1991. "Fiscal Policy and the term Structure of Interest Rates: An Intertemporal Optimizing Analysis," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 91-20, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Tobin, James, 1981.
"Money and Finance in the Macro-Economic Process,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1981-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Michael Woodford, 2009.
"Convergence in Macroeconomics: Elements of the New Synthesis,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 267-79, January.
- M. Woodford., 2010. "Convergence in Macroeconomics: Elements of the New Synthesis," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 10.
- Theodore T. Koutsobinas, 2011. "Liquidity preference in a portfolio framework and the monetary theory of Kahn," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(4), pages 751-769.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43027. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.