The Impact of the MSC certification on the Japanese fisheries: Case of the Kyoto Flathead Flounder Danish Seine Fishery
This paper investigates the impact of a Japanese fishery’s MSC certification on the related seafood markets. In September 2008, the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified the Kyoto flat-head flounder Danish seine fishery (KDSFF) as the first sustainable fishery in Asia. Assuming the MSC certification has an impact on the fishery, the overall goal is to examine the benefit of the KDSFF from the MSC certification. The benefit is examined by a cointegration and structural break test whether the KDSFF experiences market segregation by the certification. The monthly ex-vessel price is analyzed compared with the prices of the adjacent prefectures: Fukui and Hyogo prefectures. The structural break test showed that the significant impact on the structure of the flathead flounder fisheries while there is no increase in price. In conclusion, the KDSFF benefits from the MSC certification in that the market used to be easily influenced by the other larger markets, but became less influenced by them after the introduction of the MSC certification.
|Date of creation:||31 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:||09 Nov 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Slade, Margaret E, 1986. "Exogeneity Tests of Market Boundaries Applied to Petroleum Products," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 291-303, March.
- Frank Asche & Atle G. Guttormsen & Tom Sebulonsen & Elin H. Sissener, 2005. "Competition between farmed and wild salmon: the Japanese salmon market," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(3), pages 333-340, November.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Zeileis, Achim & Kleiber, Christian & Krämer, Walter & Hornik, Kurt, 2002.
"Testing and dating of structural changes in practice,"
2002,39, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Zeileis, Achim & Kleiber, Christian & Kramer, Walter & Hornik, Kurt, 2003. "Testing and dating of structural changes in practice," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 109-123, October.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Hine, Susan E., 2002.
"Discovering Niche Markets: A Comparison Of Consumer Willingness To Pay For Local (Colorado Grown), Organic, And Gmo-Free Products,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(03), December.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Hine, Susan, 2002. "Discovering Niche Markets: A Comparison of Consumer Willingness to Pay for Local (Colorado Grown), Organic, and GMO-Free Products," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(03), pages 477-487, December.
- Vincent R. Nijs & Marnik G. Dekimpe & Jan-Benedict E.M. Steenkamps & Dominique M. Hanssens, 2001. "The Category-Demand Effects of Price Promotions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(1), pages 1-22, September.
- Copeland, Laurence S, 1991. "Cointegration Tests with Daily Exchange Rate Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 53(2), pages 185-198, May.
- Ishida, Takashi & Fukushige, Mototsugu, 2010. "The effects of fishery harbor-based brands on the brand equity of shore fish: An empirical study of branded mackerel in Japan," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 488-495, October.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42505. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.