Corruption and Co-Movements in European Listed Sport Companies: Did Calciocaos really matter?
This paper analyses whether the Calciocaos, which involved some Italian listed sport companies, impacted on the performance of the Dow Jones Stoxx Football index and if this was spread through shock propagation. The Calciocaos impact is assessed by using a cointegrated vector autoregression model. The results provide evidence of the occurrence of spreading mechanisms of the effects originated by the corruption episode. After this episode Juventus’ stock and Sporting’s stock have particular importance in determining the performance of the Dow Jones Stoxx Football index. The investors/supporters of la Vecchia Signora revealed sentimental behaviour, and did not sell their participations.
|Date of creation:||06 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Jian & Bessler, David A., 2008. "Contagion around the October 1987 stock market crash," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(1), pages 291-310, January.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pericoli, Marcello & Sbracia, Massimo, 2002.
"Some Contagion, Some Interdependence: More Pitfalls in Tests of Financial Contagion,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3310, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pericoli, Marcello & Sbracia, Massimo, 2005. "'Some contagion, some interdependence': More pitfalls in tests of financial contagion," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(8), pages 1177-1199, December.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Goel, Rajeev K. & Nelson, Michael A., 2007. "Are corrupt acts contagious?: Evidence from the United States," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 839-850.
- Babatunde Buraimo & Rob Simmons & Stefan Szymanski, 2006. "English Football," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 7(1), pages 29-46, February.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Haan, Marco & Koning, Ruud H. & Witteloostuijn, Arjen van, 2002.
"Market forces in European soccer,"
CCSO Working Papers
200211, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Ahlin, Christian & Pang, Jiaren, 2008.
"Are financial development and corruption control substitutes in promoting growth?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 414-433, June.
- Christian Ahlin & Jiaren Pang, 2006. "Are Financial Development and Corruption Control Substitutes in Promoting Growth?," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0709, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Park, Yung Chul & Claessens, Stijn, 2000. "Contagion: Understanding How It Spreads," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 15(2), pages 177-97, August.
- Reint Gropp & Marco Lo Duca & Jukka Vesala, 2009.
"Cross-Border Bank Contagion in Europe,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(1), pages 97-139, March.
- Gropp, Reint & Lo Duca, Marco & Vesala, Jukka, 2006. "Cross-border bank contagion in Europe," Working Paper Series 0662, European Central Bank.
- Reint Gropp & Marco Lo Duca & Jukka Vesala, 2007. "Cross-Border Bank Contagion in Europe," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 175, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Ciocchini, Francisco & Durbin, Erik & Ng, David T.C., 2003.
"Does Corruption Increase Emerging Market Bond Spreads?,"
127179, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Ciocchini, Francisco & Durbin, Erik & Ng, David T. C., 2003. "Does corruption increase emerging market bond spreads?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(5-6), pages 503-528.
- Hon, Mark T. & Strauss, Jack K. & Yong, Soo-Keong, 2007. "Deconstructing the Nasdaq bubble: A look at contagion across international stock markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 213-230, July.
- Sujit Chakravorti & Subir Lall, 2004.
"Managerial Incentives and Financial Contagion,"
- Sujit Chakravorti & Anna Ilyina & Subir Lall, 2003. "Managerial incentives and financial contagion," Working Paper Series WP-03-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Sujit Chakravorti & Subir Lall, 2004. "Managerial Incentives and Financial Contagion," IMF Working Papers 04/199, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jokipii, Terhi & Lucey, Brian, 2007. "Contagion and interdependence: Measuring CEE banking sector co-movements," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 71-96, March.
- Barajas, Angel & Fernández-Jardón, Carlos & Crolley, Liz, 2005. "Does sports performance influence revenues and economic results in Spanish football?," MPRA Paper 3234, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kumar, Manmohan S & Persaud, Avinash, 2002. "Pure Contagion and Investors' Shifting Risk Appetite: Analytical Issues and Empirical Evidence," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 401-36, Winter.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Common stochastic trends in international stock markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-124, February.
- Haile, Fasika & Pozo, Susan, 2008. "Currency crisis contagion and the identification of transmission channels," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 572-588, October.
- Khalid, Ahmed M. & Kawai, Masahiro, 2003. "Was financial market contagion the source of economic crisis in Asia?: Evidence using a multivariate VAR model," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 131-156, February.
- Didier, Tatiana & Mauro, Paolo & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2008. "Vanishing financial contagion?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 775-791.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Shim, Sangdal, 1989. "International Transmission of Stock Market Movements," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 241-256, June.
- Treisman, Daniel, 2000. "The causes of corruption: a cross-national study," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 399-457, June.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- repec:dgr:rugccs:200211 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chiang, Thomas C. & Jeon, Bang Nam & Li, Huimin, 2007. "Dynamic correlation analysis of financial contagion: Evidence from Asian markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1206-1228, November.
- Helmut LÜTKEPOHL, 2004. "Recent Advances in Cointegration Analysis," Economics Working Papers ECO2004/12, European University Institute.
- Vinod, Hrishikesh D., 2003. "Open economy and financial burden of corruption: theory and application to Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 873-890, January.
- Fazio, Giorgio, 2007. "Extreme interdependence and extreme contagion between emerging markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1261-1291, December.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:02f18 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42474. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.