Gains and Losses from International Trade in a Knowledge-driven Semi-endogenous Growth Model with Heterogeneous Firms
We consider a semi endogenous R&D growth model with international trade, firm heterogeneity, and local knowledge spillover in a closed economy and international knowledge spillover in a symmetric two country economy. We show that by opening trade R&D difficulty (the number of varieties produced) and welfare are ambiguously affected. When the international spillover is large (small), the former is increased (decreased). When the size of the international knowledge spillover is large (small) or the size of the international knowledge spillover is small and the size of intertemporal knowledge spillover is small (large), the latter increases (decreses). Without intertemporal and international knowledge spillovers, welfare increases.
|Date of creation:||21 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:||22 Aug 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Baldwin & Frédéric Robert-Nicoud, 2006.
"Trade and Growth with Heterogenous Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
12326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Baldwin & Frédéric Robert-Nicoud, 2006. "Trade and growth with heterogeneous firms," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19856, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Frédéric Robert-Nicoud, 2006. "Trade and Growth with Heterogeneous Firms," CEP Discussion Papers dp0727, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Baldwin, Richard & Robert-Nicoud, Frédéric, 2006. "Trade and Growth with Heterogenous Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 5563, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, Richard & Robert-Nicoud, Frédéric, 2005. "Trade and Growth with Heterogeneous Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 4965, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bulent Unel, 2010.
"Technology Diffusion through Trade with Heterogeneous Firms,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 465-481, 08.
- Bulent Unel, . "Technology Diffusion through Trade with Heterogeneous Firms," Departmental Working Papers 2006-15, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Segerstrom, Paul S, 1998. "Endogenous Growth without Scale Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1290-1310, December.
- Peter Gustafsson & Paul Segerstrom, 2010.
"Trade Liberalization and Productivity Growth,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 207-228, 05.
- Dinopoulos, Elias & Unel, Bulent, 2011.
"Quality heterogeneity and global economic growth,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 595-612, June.
- Elias Dinopoulos & Constantinos Syropoulos, 2007. "Rent Protection as a Barrier to Innovation and Growth," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 309-332, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40818. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.