The Effects of Globalization on Regional Inequality in a Model of Semi-endogenous Growth and Foot-loose Capital
We show that manufacturing firms locate only in northern regions when transportation costs are not high, and in both northern and southern regions when transportation costs are high; we do so through the use of a semi-endogenous research and development growth model with international trade, footloose capital, and local knowledge spillover. Regional income inequality—defined as per-capita expenditure relative to price index—decreases in the latter case, because the northern share of expenditure does not change, on account of a constant and exogenous growth rate. The northern price index does not change, even as the southern price index decreases.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:||May 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe 657-8501 JAPAN|
Phone: +81-(0)78 803 7036
Fax: +81-(0)78 803 7059
Web page: http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Minniti, Antonio & Parello, Carmelo Pierpaolo, 2011. "Trade integration and regional disparity in a model of scale-invariant growth," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 20-31, January.
- Jian, T & Sachs, J-D & Warner, A-M, 1995.
"Trends in Regional Inequality in China,"
518, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Jones, Charles I, 1995. "R&D-Based Models of Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(4), pages 759-84, August.
- Dinopoulos, Elias & Thompson, Peter, 1998. "Schumpeterian Growth without Scale Effects," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 313-35, December.
- Martin, Philippe & Ottaviano, Gianmarco, 1996.
"Growing Locations: Industry Location in a Model of Endogenous Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1523, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin, Philippe & I.P. Ottaviano, Gianmarco, 1999. "Growing locations: Industry location in a model of endogenous growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 281-302, February.
- Guanghua Wan & Ming Lu & Zhao Chen, 2007.
"Globalization And Regional Income Inequality: Empirical Evidence From Within China,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(1), pages 35-59, 03.
- Wan, Guanghua & Lu, Ming & Chen, Zhao, 2006. "Globalization and Regional Income Inequality: Empirical evidence from within China," Working Paper Series RP2006/139, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Elias Dinopoulos & Peter Thompson, 1999. "Scale effects in Schumpeterian models of economic growth," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 157-185.
- Segerstrom, Paul S, 1998. "Endogenous Growth without Scale Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1290-1310, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kob:dpaper:dp2013-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Office of Promoting Research Collaboration, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.