Microfinance efficiency in the West African Economic and Monetary Union: have reforms promoted sustainability or outreach?
This study aims to assess the microfinance institutions’ (MFIs’) efficiency in the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU) after the reforms that were undertaken in the industry. Given the complementary role between MFIs and banks (where MFIs reach the population that the banks cannot), we ask whether these reforms have promoted sustainability or outreach. For this purpose, we use a data envelopment analysis (DEA) to measure the social efficiency on the one hand and the financial efficiency on the other hand. Our results show that sustainability prevails. Indeed, we observe an increase in financial efficiency at the expense of social and financial efficiency. MFIs that stress outreach tend to be less efficient, when one considers their intermediation role. Moreover, reforms have a negative impact on social efficiency and a positive impact on financial efficiency. Indeed, prudential ratios and accounting standards that were implemented, led MFIs to privilege their intermediation role.
|Date of creation:||06 Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Paul Azam & Bruno Biais & Magueye Dia, 2004.
"Privatisation versus Regulation in Developing Economies: The Case of West African Banks,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(3), pages 361-394, September.
- Jean Paul Azam & Bruno Biais & Magueye Dia, 2000. "Privatization versus regulation in developing economies: The case of West African banks," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 315, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Meesters, Aljar & Lensink, Robert & Hermes, Niels, 2008. "Outreach and Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions," Research Report 08002, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Mamiza Haq & Michael Skully & Shams Pathan, 2010. "Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions: A Data Envelopment Analysis," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 63-97, March.
- Andrew Worthington, 1998. "The determinants of non-bank financial institution efficiency: a stochastic cost frontier approach," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 279-287.
- Qayyum, Abdul & Ahmad, Munir, 2006. "Efficiency and Sustainability of Micro Finance," MPRA Paper 11674, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sandrine Kablan, 2009. "African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU)," Research Papers RP_192, African Economic Research Consortium.
- Ben Bassem, 2008. "Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions in the Mediterranean: An Application of DEA," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 343-354, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39955. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.