Microfinance efficiency in the West African Economic and Monetary Union: have reforms promoted sustainability or outreach?
This study aims to assess the microfinance institutions’ (MFIs’) efficiency in the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU) after the reforms that were undertaken in the industry. Given the complementary role between MFIs and banks (where MFIs reach the population that the banks cannot), we ask whether these reforms have promoted sustainability or outreach. For this purpose, we use a data envelopment analysis (DEA) to measure the social efficiency on the one hand and the financial efficiency on the other hand. Our results show that sustainability prevails. Indeed, we observe an increase in financial efficiency at the expense of social and financial efficiency. MFIs that stress outreach tend to be less efficient, when one considers their intermediation role. Moreover, reforms have a negative impact on social efficiency and a positive impact on financial efficiency. Indeed, prudential ratios and accounting standards that were implemented, led MFIs to privilege their intermediation role.
|Date of creation:||06 Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gutiérrez-Nieto, Begoña & Serrano-Cinca, Carlos & Mar Molinero, Cecilio, 2007. "Microfinance institutions and efficiency," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 131-142, April.
- Andrew Worthington, 1998. "The determinants of non-bank financial institution efficiency: a stochastic cost frontier approach," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 279-287.
- Robert Cull & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Jonathan Morduch, 2009.
"Microfinance Meets the Market,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 167-92, Winter.
- Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert & Meesters, Aljar, 2011.
"Outreach and Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 938-948, June.
- Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert & Meesters, Aljar, 2008. "Outreach and Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions," Research Report 08002, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Jean Paul Azam & Bruno Biais & Magueye Dia, 2000.
"Privatization versus regulation in developing economies: The case of West African banks,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
315, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jean Paul Azam & Bruno Biais & Magueye Dia, 2004. "Privatisation versus Regulation in Developing Economies: The Case of West African Banks," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(3), pages 361-394, September.
- Mamiza Haq & Michael Skully & Shams Pathan, 2010. "Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions: A Data Envelopment Analysis," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer;Japanese Association of Financial Economics and Engineering, vol. 17(1), pages 63-97, March.
- Cull , Robert & Demirguc-Kunt , Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2009.
"Does regulatory supervision curtail microfinance profitability and outreach ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4948, The World Bank.
- Cull, Robert & Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2011. "Does Regulatory Supervision Curtail Microfinance Profitability and Outreach?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 949-965, June.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Suominen, Matti, 1993. "Banking efficiency in the Nordic countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 371-388, April.
- Valentina Hartarska & Denis Nadolnyak, 2007. "Do regulated microfinance institutions achieve better sustainability and outreach? Cross-country evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(10), pages 1207-1222.
- Ben Bassem, 2008. "Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions in the Mediterranean: An Application of DEA," Transition Studies Review, Springer;Central Eastern European University Network (CEEUN), vol. 15(2), pages 343-354, September.
- Mersland, Roy & Strøm, R. Øystein, 2010. "Microfinance Mission Drift?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 28-36, January.
- Roberts, Peter W., 2013. "The Profit Orientation of Microfinance Institutions and Effective Interest Rates," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 120-131.
- Sandrine Kablan, 2009. "African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU)," Research Papers RP_192, African Economic Research Consortium.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39955. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.