Measuring the Effectiveness of Competition Policy: Evidence from the Turkish Cement Industry
In this paper, I develop a new method to test whether the introduction of competition policy in an industry has had any effects on its market performance. The method is based on the new empirical industrial organization methodology. I apply the method to the Turkish cement industry, which has been heavily investigated by the Turkish Competition Authority. The results show that the introduction of competition policy has had no effect in the market performance of the industry.
|Date of creation:||28 Jul 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David E. Buschena & Jeffrey M. Perloff, 1991.
"The Creation of Dominant Firm Market Power in the Coconut Oil Export Market,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 73(4), pages 1000-1008.
- Buschena, David E. & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1990. "The creation of dominant firm market power in the coconut oil export market," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt9c5124mq, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1999. " Testing for Linearity," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(5), pages 551-576, December.
- Neven, Damien J & von Ungern-Sternberg, Thomas, 1996. "Competition Policy in Switzerland," CEPR Discussion Papers 1416, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Damien NEVEN & Thomas VON UNGERN-STERNBERG, 1996. "Competition Policy in Switzerland," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9609, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- repec:cdl:agrebk:677098 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lee, Tae-Hwy, 1992. "Stock-Flow Relationships in U.S. Housing Construction," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 419-430, August.
- Michael C. Lovell, 1963. "Seasonal Adjustment of Economic Time Series and Multiple Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 151, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Franses,Philip Hans & Dijk,Dick van, 2000. "Non-Linear Time Series Models in Empirical Finance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521770415, October.
- Franses,Philip Hans & Dijk,Dick van, 2000. "Non-Linear Time Series Models in Empirical Finance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521779654, October.
- Coulson, N Edward, 1999. "Housing Inventory and Completion," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 89-105, January.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993. "A Test of Competition in Canadian Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 49-61, February.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1990. "A test of competition in Canadian banking," Working Papers 90-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992. "Testing for parameter instability in linear models," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 517-533, August.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "STABTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's stability test for OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00199, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Konings, Jozef & Van Cayseele, Patrick & Warzynski, Frederic, 2001. "The dynamics of industrial mark-ups in two small open economies: does national competition policy matter?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 841-859, April.
- Jozef Konings & Patrick Van Cayseele & Frederic Warzynski, 1999. "The Dynamics of Industrial Markups in Two Small Open Economies: Does National Competition Policy Matter ?," Working Papers Department of Economics ces9914, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Warzynski, Frederic, 2001. "Did tough antitrust policy lead to lower mark-ups in the US manufacturing industry?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 139-144, January.
- Pittman, R., 1997. "Competition Law in Central Eastern Europe: Five Years Later," Papers 97-2, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997. "Competition Law in Post-Central Planning Bulgaria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1723, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Merkies, Arnold H. Q. M. & Steyn, Ivo J., 1994. "Modelling changing lag patterns in Dutch construction," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 499-509, March.
- Dutz, Mark A. & Vagliasindi, Maria, 2000. "Competition policy implementation in transition economies: An empirical assessment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 762-772, May.
- N. Edward Coulson & Christian Richard, 1996. "The Dynamic Impact of Unseasonable Weather on Construction Activity," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 179-194.
- van Alphen, Hendrik J & Merkies, Arnold H Q M, 1976. "Distributed Lags in Construction: An Empirical Study," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(2), pages 411-430, June.
- Lin, Ping, et al, 2000. " The US Antitrust System and Recent Trends in Antitrust Enforcement," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 255-306, July.
- Kulaksizoglu, Tamer, 2004. "Competition Policy in Turkey," MPRA Paper 179, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Merkies, A.H.Q.M. & Steyn, I.J., 1991. "Modelling changing lag patterns in Dutch construction," Serie Research Memoranda 0086, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:357. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.