Do Investigations of Competition Authorities Really Increase the Degree of Competition? An Answer From Turkish Cement Market
In this paper, we assess the effects of the investigations carried by the Turkish Competition Board in 1997, 2002 and 2003 on the degree competition in the Turkish cement market. For this aim, we used proverbial Bresnahan-Lau framework with alternative definitions for the supply relation. Our first finding is that cement producers had a considerable amount of market power at the period prior to the first investigation in 1997. In addition, this study shows that, parallel to our initial expectation, competition in the cement market increased thanks to the investigations. The positive effect of the first investigation is found to be especially significant. Hence, this study witnesses that the enforcement of the competition law by the Turkish Competition Board has produced the desired effects in the most problematic sector with respect to competition law.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2010 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/pep/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodrigo Zeidan & Marcelo Resende, 2009.
"Measuring Market Conduct in the Brazilian Cement Industry: A Dynamic Econometric Investigation,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 34(3), pages 231-244, May.
- Rodrigo M. Zeidan & Marcelo Resende, 2005. "Measuring Market Conduct in the Brazilian Cement Industry: a Dynamic Econometric Investigation," Economics Working Papers ECO2005/13, European University Institute.
- Choi, Dosoung & Philippatos, George C, 1983. "Financial Consequences of Antitrust Enforcement," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 501-06, August.
- Jozef Konings & Patrick Van Cayseele & Frederic Warzynski, 1999.
"The Dynamics of Industrial Markups in Two Small Open Economies: Does National Competition Policy Matter ?,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
ces9914, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Konings, Jozef & Van Cayseele, Patrick & Warzynski, Frederic, 2001. "The dynamics of industrial mark-ups in two small open economies: does national competition policy matter?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 841-859, April.
- Kulaksizoglu, Tamer, 2004. "Measuring the Effectiveness of Competition Policy: Evidence from the Turkish Cement Industry," MPRA Paper 357, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mikael Bask & Jens Lundgren & Niklas Rudholm, 2009. "Market power in the expanding Nordic power market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(9), pages 1035-1043.
- George Symeonidis, 2002. "The Effects of Competition: Cartel Policy and the Evolution of Strategy and Structure in British Industry," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262194686, March.
- Sproul, Michael F, 1993.
"Antitrust and Prices,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 741-54, August.
- Deodhar, Satish Y. & Sheldon, Ian M., 1997. "Market Power In The World Market For Soymeal Exports," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Newmark, Craig M, 1988. "Does Horizontal Price Fixing Raise Price? A Look at the Bakers of Washington Case," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(2), pages 469-84, October.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1990.
"A test of competition in Canadian banking,"
90-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Feinberg, Robert M, 1980. "Antitrust Enforcement and Subsequent Price Behavior," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(4), pages 609-12, November.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- George J. Stigler & James K. Kindahl, 1970. "The Behavior of Industrial Prices," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number stig70-1, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpep:v:2010:y:2010:i:2:id:369:p:150-168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.