The Causality and Economic Impact of FDI inflows from Trade Partners in Pakistan
This paper examines causality between FDI, GDP, Exports and Domestic Investment by using Granger and multivariate Granger causality tests. The study also employs gravity based panel model to investigate the impact of FDI inflows from trade partners on GDP, trade and domestic investment in Pakistan. The results show that two-way causality runs between GDP, domestic investment and FDI, while unidirectional causality is detected from exports to FDI. Our panel data estimation confirms the positive role of FDI inflows in GDP and domestic investment while the results shows that the role of FDI is insignificant in case of exports and imports. Similarly, the concentration and sporadic FDI inflows from a few trade partners is adversely affecting GDP and increases imports without affecting domestic investment and exports. On the other hand minor FDI inflows from trade partners significantly contribute to GDP and decreases imports.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feenstra, Robert C & Markusen, James R, 1994.
"Accounting for Growth with New Inputs,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(2), pages 429-447, May.
- Zwinkels, Remco C.J. & Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd, 2010. "Gravity equations: Workhorse or Trojan horse in explaining trade and FDI patterns across time and space?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 102-115, February.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 2003.
"Gains from FDI inflows with incomplete information,"
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 71-77, January.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 2002. "Gains from FDI Inflows with Incomplete Information," NBER Working Papers 9008, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002.
"A gravity model of sovereign lending: trade, default and credit,"
Working Paper Series
2002-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2004. "A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default, and Credit," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(s1), pages 50-63, June.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002. "A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default and Credit," NBER Working Papers 9285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zapata, Hector O & Rambaldi, Alicia N, 1997.
"Monte Carlo Evidence on Cointegration and Causation,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 285-298, May.
- Zapata, Hector O. & Rambaldi, Alicia N., 1996. "Monte Carlo Evidence On Cointegration And Causation," Staff Papers 31690, Louisiana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness.
- Chandana Chakraborty & Parantap Basu, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and growth in India: a cointegration approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 1061-1073.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Ronald B. Davies & Glen R. Waddell & Helen T. Naughton, 2004.
"FDI in Space: Spatial Autoregressive Relationships in Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
10939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Davies, Ronald B. & Waddell, Glen R. & Naughton, Helen T., 2007. "FDI in space: Spatial autoregressive relationships in foreign direct investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1303-1325, July.
- Xiaohui Liu & Peter Burridge & P. J. N. Sinclair, 2002. "Relationships between economic growth, foreign direct investment and trade: evidence from China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(11), pages 1433-1440.
- Albuquerque, Rui & Loayza, Norman & Serven, Luis, 2003.
"World market integration through the lens of foreign direct investors,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3060, The World Bank.
- Albuquerque, Rui & Loayza, Norman & Serven, Luis, 2005. "World market integration through the lens of foreign direct investors," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 267-295, July.
- Stèphane Dees, 1998.
"Foreign Direct Investment in China: Determinants and Effects,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 175-194, May.
- Dees, Stephane, 1998. "Foreign Direct Investment in China: Determinants and Effects," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 31(2-3), pages 175-194.
- KH Zhang, 2001. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Economic Growth? Evidence From East Asia And Latin America," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(2), pages 175-185, 04.
- Nasim Shah Shirazi & Turkhan Ali Abdul Manap, 2005. "Export-Led Growth Hypothesis: Further Econometric Evidence From South Asia," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 43(4), pages 472-488, December.
- Mark L. J. Wright, 2004. "New Empirical Results on Default: A Discussion of "A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default and Credit"," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(s1), pages 64-74, June.
- Henri Bezuidenhout, 2009. "A regional perspective on Aid and FDI in Southern Africa," Working Papers 147, Economic Research Southern Africa.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35645. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.