Foreign Direct Investment, Regional Geographical and Market Conditions, and Regional Development: A Panel Study on China
This paper uses regional panel data to investigate the mechanism of how FDI has contributed to China’s regional development through quantifying regional marketization level. It is found that FDI inflow generates a demonstration effect in identifying regional market conditions for investment in fixed assets and hence affects industrial location. In addition, its effects on regional export and regional income growth varied across east, central and west China since the second half of the 1990s, depending on FDI-orientation in different regions. In east China, geographical advantage in export attracts FDI inflow and FDI promotes export. In addition, rise of FDI-GDP ratio increases regional share in industrial value added in east China. These effects contribute positively to regional income growth in east China although there is a direct crowding out effect between FDI and domestic investment (as input) in growth. In contrast, the negative impact of FDI inflow in central China on regional export orientation weakens its contribution to regional income growth. Furthermore, contribution of improvement of market mechanism to regional development is evidenced in attracting FDI, in promoting export and directly contributing to regional income growth.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goodhue, Rachael Evadne & Rausser, Gordon C. & Simon, Leo K, 1996.
"Privatization, market liberalization and learning in transition economies,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
788, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Gordon C. Rausser & Leo K. Simon, 1998. "Privatization, Market Liberalization, and Learning in Transition Economies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 724-737.
- Rachael E. Goodhue & Gordon C. Rausser & Leo K. Simon, 1998. "Privatization, Market Liberalization and Learning in Transition Economies," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9805, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Goodhue, Rachael E. & Rausser, Gordon C. & Simon, Leo K., 1996. "Privatization, market liberalization and learning in transition economies," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6vw536q0, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Zhang, Kevin Honglin & Song, Shunfeng, 2001. "Promoting exports: the role of inward FDI in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 385-396.
- Nauro F. Campos & Yuko Kinoshita, 2002.
"Foreign Direct Investment as Technology Transferred: Some Panel Evidence from the Transition Economies,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
438, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Campos, Nauro F & Kinoshita, Yuko, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment as Technology Transferred: Some Panel Evidence from the Transition Economies," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(3), pages 398-419, June.
- Campos, Nauro F & Kinoshita, Yuko, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment as Technology Transferred: Some Panel Evidence from the Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 3417, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Satish Chand, 1998. "Trade Orientation and Productivity Gains from International Production: A Study of Overseas Operations of US Multinationals," Departmental Working Papers 1998-02, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Liu, Xiaming & Wang, Chengang & Wei, Yingqi, 2001. "Causal links between foreign direct investment and trade in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 190-202.
- KH Zhang, 2001. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Economic Growth? Evidence From East Asia And Latin America," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(2), pages 175-185, 04.
- Li, Xiaoying & Liu, Xiaming & Parker, David, 2001. "Foreign direct investment and productivity spillovers in the Chinese manufacturing sector," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 305-321, December.
- V N Balasubramanyam & M Salisu & David Sapsford., .
"Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in EP and IS Countries,"
ec18/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Balasubramanyam, V N & Salisu, M & Sapsford, David, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in EP and IS Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 92-105, January.
- Chandana Chakraborty & Parantap Basu, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and growth in India: a cointegration approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 1061-1073.
- Rajneesh Narula & John Dunning, 2000. "Industrial Development, Globalization and Multinational Enterprises: New Realities for Developing Countries," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 141-167.
- Xiaohui Liu & Peter Burridge & P. J. N. Sinclair, 2002. "Relationships between economic growth, foreign direct investment and trade: evidence from China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(11), pages 1433-1440.
- L.R. de Mello Jr., 1996.
"Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data,"
Studies in Economics
9615, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- de Mello, Luiz R, Jr, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 133-51, January.
- Sun, Qian & Tong, Wilson & Yu, Qiao, 2002. "Determinants of foreign direct investment across China," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 79-113, February.
- Wen, Mei, 2004. "Relocation and agglomeration of Chinese industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 329-347, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:2005-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Zec)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.