Accounting for Growth With New Inputs
In this paper we examine how to account for growth when new inputs are being created. In particular, we obtain a decomposition of growth into that due to a higher quantity of existing inputs, and that due to a greater range of inputs. This decomposition is first obtained for a single firm, with a CES production function. We then generalize to the GNP function of an economy. and again show how a decomposition of growth in GNP can be obtained. An example is presented of a two-sector economy, where new inputs are endogenously created each period, and a simple aggregate production function exists. Data for this economy are simulated, and the GNP function is estimated using various different measures of the factor inputs.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1992|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as International Economic Review, May 1994, vol 35, no 2, pp 429-447|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sato, Kazuo, 1976. "The Ideal Log-Change Index Number," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(2), pages 223-28, May.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Jess Benhabib & Boyan Jovanovic, 1989.
"Externalities and Growth Accounting,"
NBER Working Papers
3190, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Solow, Robert M, 1988.
"Growth Theory and After,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 307-17, June.
- Markusen, James R, 1989. "Trade in Producer Services and in Other Specialized Intermediate Inputs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 85-95, March.
- James R. Markusen, 1990. "First Mover Advantages, Blockaded Entry, And the Economics of Uneven Development," NBER Working Papers 3284, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "National and International Returns to Scale in the Modern Theory of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 389-405, June.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1991.
"New Goods and Index Numbers: U.S. Import Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
3610, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, Robert C & Markusen, James R & Zeile, William, 1992. "Accounting for Growth with New Inputs: Theory and Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 415-21, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:4114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.