Foreign direct investment, cost of war and trade in Pakistan
This paper uses macro panel data and gravity model to examine the impact of FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) inflows from 20 trade partners and increasing war cost in Pakistan on import, export and trade deficit. The paper compares the effect and inflows of FDI in Pakistan before and after joining the war on terror in 2001. This research work confirms the complementary relationship between FDI and export and FDI and imports, however, the results of FDI impact on trade deficit is insignificant. Similarly, the impact of war cost on exports, imports and trade deficit is not significant.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Ronald B. Davies & Glen R. Waddell & Helen T. Naughton, 2004.
"FDI in Space: Spatial Autoregressive Relationships in Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
10939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Davies, Ronald B. & Waddell, Glen R. & Naughton, Helen T., 2007. "FDI in space: Spatial autoregressive relationships in foreign direct investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1303-1325, July.
- Stevens, Guy V. G., 2000. "Politics, economics and investment:: Explaining plant and equipment spending by US direct investors in Argentina, Brazil and Mexico," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 153-183, April.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002.
"A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default and Credit,"
NBER Working Papers
9285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2004. "A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default, and Credit," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(s1), pages 50-63, June.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002. "A gravity model of sovereign lending: trade, default and credit," Working Paper Series 2002-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996.
"Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Serven, Luis & Solimano, Andres, 1992. "Private Investment and Macroeconomic Adjustment: A Survey," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 95-114, January.
- Lipsey, Robert E & Weiss, Merle Yahr, 1984. "Foreign Production and Exports of Individual Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(2), pages 304-08, May.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999.
"Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zwinkels, Remco C.J. & Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd, 2010. "Gravity equations: Workhorse or Trojan horse in explaining trade and FDI patterns across time and space?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 102-115, February.
- Nigel Driffield & James H Love, 2007. "Linking FDI motivation and host economy productivity effects: conceptual and empirical analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(3), pages 460-473, May.
- Petri, Peter A., 1992. "Platforms in the Pacific: the trade effects of direct investment in Thailand," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 173-196.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:149:y::i:1:p:30-52 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luiz R. De Mello & Kiichiro Fukasaku, 2000. "Trade and foreign direct investment in Latin America and Southeast Asia: temporal causality analysis," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(7), pages 903-924.
- Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Technology, market characteristics, and spillovers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 279-293, April.
- Nitsch, Volker & Schumacher, Dieter, 2004. "Terrorism and international trade: an empirical investigation," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 423-433, June.
- Mark L. J. Wright, 2004. "New Empirical Results on Default: A Discussion of "A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default and Credit"," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(s1), pages 64-74, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35598. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.