The dynamics of investment and labour demand: Theoretical issues and an application to the Dutch manufacturing industry
Lucas' (1967) adjustment costs model and Kydland and Prescott's (1982) time-to-build model induce mutually exclusive time-series properties that can be recovered from data. This paper investigates three variants of a theoretical model which give insight into the parameter restrictions implied by each of the two sources of dynamics separately. The variants, which simultaneously determine the interrelated demand for capital structures, equipment and labour, are analyzed using quarterly Dutch manufacturing data for the period 1971-1990. In a model with gestation lags, the additional dynamics induced by adjustment costs are not significant. This is not surprising since the economic interpretation of adjustment costs in addition to time-to-build is not obvious. Non-nested hyotheses tests, however, show that the two specifications imply mutually exclusieve time series properties which are statistically significant.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1993|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nickell, Stephen, 1975. "A closer look at replacement investment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 54-88, February.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-1370, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- GINSBURGH, Victor A., 1973. "A further note on the derivation of quarterly figures consistent with annual data," CORE Discussion Papers RP 161, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Victor Ginsburgh, 1973. "A further note on the derivation of quarterly figures consistent with annual data," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1781, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- A. B. Treadway, 1969. "On Rational Entrepreneurial Behaviour and the Demand for Investment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(2), pages 227-239.
- Altug, Sumru, 1989. "Time-to-Build and Aggregate Fluctuations: Some New Evidence," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 889-920, November.
- Sumru Altug, 1986. "Time to build and aggregate fluctuations: some new evidence," Working Papers 277, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Pesaran, M H & Deaton, Angus S, 1978. "Testing Non-Nested Nonlinear Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 677-694, May.
- Palm, Franz C & Peeters, H M M & Pfann, G A, 1993. "Adjustment Costs and Time-to-Build in Factor Demand in the U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 639-671.
- van Alphen, Hendrik J & Merkies, Arnold H Q M, 1976. "Distributed Lags in Construction: An Empirical Study," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(2), pages 411-430, June.
- Jarque, Carlos M. & Bera, Anil K., 1980. "Efficient tests for normality, homoscedasticity and serial independence of regression residuals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 255-259.
- J. P. Gould, 1968. "Adjustment Costs in the Theory of Investment of the Firm," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(1), pages 47-55. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.