Innovation and Export of Vietnam’s SME Sector
Innovation has long been considered an important factor for creating and maintaining the competitiveness of nations and firms. The relationship between innovation and exporting has been investigated for many countries. However, there is a paucity of research in Vietnam with respect to this issue. In this paper we examine whether innovation performed by Vietnam’s small and medium enterprises (SMEs) enhances their exporting likelihood. Using the recently released Vietnam Small and Medium Enterprise Survey 2005, we find that innovation as measured directly by ‘new products’, ‘new production process’ and ‘improvement of existing products’ are important determinants of exports by Vietnamese SMEs.
|Date of creation:||May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cuong LE VAN & H. Cagri SAGLAM, 2001.
"Quality of Knowledge Technology, Returns to Production Technology and Economic Development,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2002004, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Le Van, Cuong & Saglam, H. Cagri, 2004. "Quality Of Knowledge Technology, Returns To Production Technology, And Economic Development," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 147-161, April.
- LE VAN, Cuong & SAGLAM, H. Cagri, . "Quality of knowledge technology, returns to production technology, and economic development," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1747, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Arnold, Jens Matthias & Hussinger, Katrin, 2004.
"Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A Firm-level Analysis,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-12, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2005. "Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A Firm-Level Analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(2), pages 219-243, July.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2004. "Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A firm-level analysis," International Trade 0403007, EconWPA, revised 02 Nov 2004.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2003. "Export Behavior and Firm productivity in German Manufacturing. A Firm-Level Analysis," Development Working Papers 184, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Sterlacchini, Alessandro, 1999.
"Do innovative activities matter to small firms in non-R&D-intensive industries? An application to export performance,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 819-832, November.
- Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 1998. "Do innovative activities matter to small firms in non-R&D-intensive industries? An application to export performances," Working Papers 109, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Richard Blundell & Mónica Costa Dias, 2008.
"Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics,"
CEF.UP Working Papers
0805, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2009. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(3).
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2002. "Alternative approaches to evaluation in empirical microeconomics," CeMMAP working papers CWP10/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Costa Dias, Monica, 2008. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," IZA Discussion Papers 3800, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2008. "Alternative approaches to evaluation in empirical microeconomics," CeMMAP working papers CWP26/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Greenhalgh, Christine, 1990. "Innovation and Trade Performance in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 105-18, Supplemen.
- Bernard, A. & Wagner, J., 1996.
"Exports and Success in German Manufacturing,"
96-10, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Andrew Bernard & Joachim Wagner, 1997. "Exports and success in German manufacturing," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 134-157, March.
- Stefan Lachenmaier & Ludger Woessmann, 2004. "Does Innovation Cause Exports? Evidence from Exogenous Innovation Impulses and Obstacles," CESifo Working Paper Series 1178, CESifo Group Munich.
- Greenhalgh, Christine Anne & Taylor, Paul, 1990.
"Innovation and Export Volumes and Prices: A Disaggregated Study,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
487, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Greenhalgh, Christine & Taylor, Paul & Wilson, Rob, 1994. "Innovation and Export Volumes and Prices--A Disaggregated Study," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 102-35, January.
- Greenhalgh, C. & Taylor, P. & Wilson, R., 1991. "Innovation and Export Volumes and Prices- A Disaggregated Study," Economics Series Working Papers 99107, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Teece, David J., 1996. "Firm organization, industrial structure, and technological innovation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 193-224, November.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00197539 is not listed on IDEAS
- Valdemar Smith & Erik Strøjer Madsen & Mogens Dilling-Hansen, 2002. "Do R&D Investments Affect Export Performance?," CIE Discussion Papers 2002-09, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:3256. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.