Innovation and Export of Vietnam's SME Sector
Innovation has long been considered an important factor for creating and maintaining the competitiveness of nations and firms. Common knowledge stands that innovation is the cause of the increase of exports. However, contradicting empirical evidences are reported in the literature on the causality between innovation and export. In this paper we examine whether innovation performed by small and medium enterprises (SMEs) enhances their exporting likelihood in the context of a developing country of Vietnam. Using an uniquely rich Vietnamese SMEs database, we find that innovation as measured directly by 'new products', 'new production process' and 'improvement of existing products' are important determinants of exports by Vietnamese SMEs. We add to the current literature by examining modification of existing products as an innovation activity. We also find evidence of endogeneity of innovation that may lead to biased estimate of innovation in previous studies, which failed to take this problem into account.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 8-9 2nd Floor, 216 Tran Quang Khai Street, Hanoi|
Web page: http://www.depocenwp.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joachim Wagner, 2005.
"Exports and Productivity: A survey of the evidence from firm level data,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
4, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2007. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence from Firm-level Data," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 60-82, 01.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2005. "Exports and Productivity : A survey of the evidence from firm level data," HWWA Discussion Papers 319, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence fro Firm Level Data," International Trade 0504005, EconWPA.
- Valdemar Smith & Erik Strøjer Madsen & Mogens Dilling-Hansen, 2002. "Do R&D Investments Affect Export Performance?," CIE Discussion Papers 2002-09, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Teece, David J., 1996. "Firm organization, industrial structure, and technological innovation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 193-224, November.
- Cuong LE VAN & H. Cagri SAGLAM, 2001.
"Quality of Knowledge Technology, Returns to Production Technology and Economic Development,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2002004, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Le Van, Cuong & Saglam, H. Cagri, 2004. "Quality Of Knowledge Technology, Returns To Production Technology, And Economic Development," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 147-161, April.
- Cuong Le Van & H. Cagri Saglam, 2004. "Quality of Knowledge Technology, Returns to Production Technology and Economic Development," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00118994, HAL.
- LE VAN, Cuong & SAGLAM, H. Cagri, . "Quality of knowledge technology, returns to production technology, and economic development," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1747, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2008.
"Alternative approaches to evaluation in empirical microeconomics,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP26/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2009. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(3).
- Blundell, Richard & Costa Dias, Monica, 2008. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," IZA Discussion Papers 3800, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2002. "Alternative approaches to evaluation in empirical microeconomics," CeMMAP working papers CWP10/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Mónica Costa Dias, 2008. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," CEF.UP Working Papers 0805, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00197539 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arnold, Jens Matthias & Hussinger, Katrin, 2004.
"Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A Firm-level Analysis,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-12, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2005. "Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A Firm-Level Analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(2), pages 219-243, July.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2003. "Export Behavior and Firm productivity in German Manufacturing. A Firm-Level Analysis," Development Working Papers 184, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2004. "Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A firm-level analysis," International Trade 0403007, EconWPA, revised 02 Nov 2004.
- Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 1998.
"Do innovative activities matter to small firms in non-R&D-intensive industries? An application to export performances,"
109, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Sterlacchini, Alessandro, 1999. "Do innovative activities matter to small firms in non-R&D-intensive industries? An application to export performance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 819-832, November.
- Bernard, A. & Wagner, J., 1996.
"Exports and Success in German Manufacturing,"
96-10, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Andrew Bernard & Joachim Wagner, 1997. "Exports and success in German manufacturing," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 133(1), pages 134-157, March.
- Greenhalgh, Christine & Taylor, Paul & Wilson, Rob, 1994.
"Innovation and Export Volumes and Prices--A Disaggregated Study,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 102-35, January.
- Greenhalgh, C. & Taylor, P. & Wilson, R., 1991. "Innovation and Export Volumes and Prices- A Disaggregated Study," Economics Series Working Papers 99107, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Greenhalgh, Christine Anne & Taylor, Paul, 1990. "Innovation and Export Volumes and Prices: A Disaggregated Study," CEPR Discussion Papers 487, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stefan Lachenmaier & Ludger Woessmann, 2004. "Does Innovation Cause Exports? Evidence from Exogenous Innovation Impulses and Obstacles," CESifo Working Paper Series 1178, CESifo Group Munich.
- Greenhalgh, Christine, 1990. "Innovation and Trade Performance in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 105-18, Supplemen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dpc:wpaper:0908. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doan Quang Hung)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.