Governance in Spanish Savings Banks. A Historical Perspective
During the previous three decades, mutual financial firms have been experiencing a process of demutualization, and some of the non-for-profit banks have become publicly listed companies. Hence, the persistence of the Spanish Savings Banks constitutes an interesting case study. In line with recent literature, this paper attempts to reach a better understanding of the factors that have contributed to the persistence of these entities in the long run and to the maintenance of a very specific model of corporate governance. Regulatory influences, politics and political institutions have proved to be key elements of a model which has proved capable of delivering successful outcomes in increasingly competitive conditions. Nonetheless, the financial crisis would seem to have exacerbated the stresses and strains within this model and, in combination with the pressure of increasingly globalized markets, the Spanish Savings Banks find themselves in a new scenario.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, .
"Power in a Theory of the Firm,"
CRSP working papers
335, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Bernardo Batiz-Lazo, 2004. "Strategic alliances and competitive edge: insights from Spanish and UK banking histories," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(1), pages 23-56.
- Tirole, Jean, 1999.
CEPR Discussion Papers
2086, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Walton, 2010. "New directions in business history: Themes, approaches and opportunities," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 52(1), pages 1-16.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 2003.
"What Works in Securities Law?,"
NBER Working Papers
9882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 2000.
"The Governance of the New Enterprise,"
NBER Working Papers
7958, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. J. Keneley, 2009. "Organisational capabilities and the role of routines in the emergence of a modern life insurer: The story of the AMP," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(2), pages 248-267.
- Martinez, Manuel Titos, 1989. "La Caja de Madrid en el siglo XIX: ¿Actividad asistencial o financiera?," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 557-587, December.
- J. Carles Maixe-Altes, 2009. "Enterprise and philanthropy: the dilemma of Scottish savings banks in the late nineteenth century," Accounting History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 39-59.
- Robin Pearson, 2002. "Growth, crisis and change in the insurance industry: a retrospect," Accounting History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 487-504.
- Robin Pearson, 2002. "Mutuality Tested: The Rise and Fall of Mutual Fire Insurance Offices in Eighteenth-Century London," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 1-28.
- Manuel Illueca & Lars Norden & Gregory F. Udell, 2009. "Liberalization, Corporate Governance, and Savings Banks," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 17, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Mark Casson, 1997. "Institutional Economics and Business History: A Way Forward?," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(4), pages 151-171.
- Hansmann, Henry, 1985. "The Organization of Insurance Companies: Mutual versus Stock," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 125-53, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:29535. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.