Labour Market Reforms in the Context of Political Power Theory: The Case of Slovenia
The rigidity of labour market has several important negative economic consequences: it stifles job creation, increases discrimination of those it is actually aimed at protecting (young, women and low skilled), hurts the unemployed, slows down economic restructuring and damages its global competitiveness. But reforms are slow and often marked with disputes among partners in the collective bargaining process. Afraid of social security loss, unions usually oppose the reform, while governments usually give in to the union pressures and negative image of reform consequences created by unions and assisted by media. The characteristics of the labour market and labour market reform with respect to bargaining among power groups are examined both theoretically and empirically in the case of Slovenia.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Proceedings of Rijeka Faculty of Economics 1.27(2009): pp. 57-82|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Janez Prašnikar & Jan Svejnar & Polona Domadenik, 2000. "Enterprises in the Post-Privatization Period: Firm-Level Evidence for Slovenia," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 38(5), pages 60-92, October.
- Patrizia Margani & Marco Malgarini, 2008. "Unemployment expectations across heterogeneous groups," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(31), pages 1-6.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 2005.
"Politics and economics in weak and strong states,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 1199-1226, October.
- Castro, R. & Coen-Pirani, D., 2001.
"On the Political Economy of Sequential Reforms,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-21, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Robert A.J. Dur, 1999.
"Why Do Policy Makers Stick to Inefficient Decisions?,"
- Dur, Robert A J, 2001. " Why Do Policy Makers Stick to Inefficient Decisions?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 107(3-4), pages 221-34, June.
- Giuseppe BERTOLA & Tito BOERI & Sandrine CAZES, 2000. "Employment protection in industrialized countries: The case for new indicators," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 139(1), pages 57-72, 03.
- Majcen, Boris & Verbic, Miroslav & Cok, Mitja, 2007. "The Income Tax Reform in Slovenia: Should the Flat Tax Have Prevailed?," MPRA Paper 10348, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jose Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 2002.
"The Injustice of Inequality,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1967, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Juan Botero & Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio López-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, .
"The Regulation of Labor,"
19483, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Jože P. Damijan & Črt Kostevc, 2006. "Learning-by-Exporting: Continuous Productivity Improvements or Capacity Utilization Effects? Evidence from Slovenian Firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(3), pages 599-614, October.
- Polona Domadenik & Janez Prašnikar & Jan Svejnar, 2008. "Restructuring of firms in transition: ownership, institutions and openness to trade," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(4), pages 725-746, June.
- Gary S. Becker & Casey B. Mulligan, 1998.
"Deadweight Costs and the Size of Government,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
144, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:19990050 is not listed on IDEAS
- Besley, Timothy & Case, Anne, 1995.
"Does Electoral Accountability Affect Economic Policy Choices? Evidence from Gubernatorial Term Limits,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 769-98, August.
- Timothy Besley & Anne Case, 1993. "Does Electoral Accountability Affect Economic Policy Choices? Evidence from Gubernatorial Term Limits," NBER Working Papers 4575, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George J. Stigler, 1971. "The Theory of Economic Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 2(1), pages 3-21, Spring.
- Edward P. Lazear, 2000.
"Performance Pay and Productivity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1346-1361, December.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2000. "The Political Economy of Labour Market Institutions," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198293323, March.
- Jen D. Wong & Melissa A. Hardy, 2009. "Women's Retirement Expectations: How Stable Are They?," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 64(1), pages 77-86.
- Fernandez, Raquel & Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Resistance to Reform: Status Quo Bias in the Presence of Individual-Specific Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1146-55, December.
- Thomas Lemieux & W. Bentley MacLeod & Daniel Parent, 2009. "Performance Pay and Wage Inequality-super-," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 124(1), pages 1-49, February.
- S. Deakin, 2001. "The Contract of Employment: A Study in Legal Evolution," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp203, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2008:i:31:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Becker, Gary S, 1983. "A Theory of Competition among Pressure Groups for Political Influence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(3), pages 371-400, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:25524. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.