Adoption of Recommended Varieties: A Farm level Analysis of Wheat Growers in Irrigated Punjab
This study uses farm level data to analyse the determinants of adoption of recommended wheat varieties in irrigated Punjab, Pakistan. A notable proportion of wheat acreage is sown to non-recommended wheat varieties in the province. These cultivars had either lost (overtime) or did not have resistance against yellow rust. Farm size, education, and size of wheat enterprise on the farm are the important determinants of adoption of recommended wheat varieties while tractor ownership and irrigation source play a positive but insignificant role in the adoption decisions. Age and tenure proved to be less of a constraint towards adoption of the recommended wheat varieties. The likelihood of the adoption of recommended wheat varieties varied among tehsils, with the highest probabilities of adoption in Melsi and Arifwala tehsils of cotton-wheat zones I and II respectively.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:||2002|
|Publication status:||Published in The Pakistan Development Review 1.41(2002): pp. 29-48|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:pid:journl:v:32:y:1993:i:1:p:69-86 is not listed on IDEAS
- Meredith J. Soule & Abebayehu Tegene & Keith D. Wiebe, 2000. "Land Tenure and the Adoption of Conservation Practices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 993-1005.
- repec:pid:journl:v:39:y:2000:i:4:p:487-514 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pid:journl:v:27:y:1988:i:2:p:183-210 is not listed on IDEAS
- BATTESE, GEORGEE. & Ahmad, Munir, 1997. "A pro bit analysis of the incidence of the cotton leaf curl virus in Punjab, Pakistan," MPRA Paper 37706, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:pid:journl:v:30:y:1991:i:4:p:1039-1048 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hussain, Syed Sajidin & Byerlee, Derek & Heisey, Paul W., 1994. "Impacts of the training and visit extension system on farmers' knowledge and adoption of technology: Evidence from Pakistan," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 39-47, January.
- Jayson K. Harper & M. Edward Rister & James W. Mjelde & Bastiaan M. Drees & Michael O. Way, 1990. "Factors Influencing the Adoption of Insect Management Technology," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(4), pages 997-1005.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Hussain, Syed Sajidin & Byerlee, Derek R. & Heisey, Paul W., 1994. "Impacts of the training and visit extension system on farmers' knowledge and adoption of technology: Evidence from Pakistan," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(1), January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:2537. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.