Patterns and Determinants of Adoption of High Yielding Varieties: Farm-level Evidence from Bangladesh
Observations using Bangladeshi survey data tend to support Ahmed's (1981) and Asaduzzaman's (1979) hypothesis postulating an inverse relationship between farm size and intensity of adoption but not Jones' (1984) U-shaped relationship. However, since farm size alone is an inadequate predictor of HYV adoption, bivariate and multivariate techniques including discriminant analysis are used to identify influences on HYV adoption of such variables as subsistence pressure, tenancy, labour scarcity, education, availability of irrigation. Irrigation emerges as the key determinant of HYV adoption.
Volume (Year): 27 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alauddin, Mohammad & Tisdell, Clem, 1986.
"Market Analysis, Technical Change and Income Distribution in Semi-Subsistence Agriculture: the Case of Bangladesh,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 1(1).
- Alauddin, Mohammad & Tisdell, Clem, 1986. "Market analysis, technical change and income distribution in semi-subsistence agriculture: the case of Bangladesh," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 1-18, December.
- M. Ghaffar Chaudhry, 1982. "Green Revolution and Redistribution of Rural Incomes. Pakistan's Experience," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 21(3), pages 173-205.
- Feder, Gershon & O'Mara, Gerald T, 1981. "Farm Size and the Diffusion of Green Revolution Technology," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(1), pages 59-76, October.
- Shahabuddin, Quazi & Mestelman, Stuart & Feeny, David, 1986. "Peasant Behaviour towards Risk and Socio-Economic and Structural Characteristics of Farm Households in Bangladesh," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(1), pages 122-130, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)