Patterns and Determinants of Adoption of High Yielding Varieties: Farm-level Evidence from Bangladesh
Observations using Bangladeshi survey data tend to support Ahmed's (1981) and Asaduzzaman's (1979) hypothesis postulating an inverse relationship between farm size and intensity of adoption but not Jones' (1984) U-shaped relationship. However, since farm size alone is an inadequate predictor of HYV adoption, bivariate and multivariate techniques including discriminant analysis are used to identify influences on HYV adoption of such variables as subsistence pressure, tenancy, labour scarcity, education, availability of irrigation. Irrigation emerges as the key determinant of HYV adoption.
Volume (Year): 27 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shahabuddin, Quazi & Mestelman, Stuart & Feeny, David, 1986. "Peasant Behaviour towards Risk and Socio-Economic and Structural Characteristics of Farm Households in Bangladesh," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(1), pages 122-130, March.
- Alauddin, Mohammad & Tisdell, Clem, 1986.
"Market analysis, technical change and income distribution in semi-subsistence agriculture: the case of Bangladesh,"
Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 1-18, December.
- Alauddin, Mohammad & Tisdell, Clem, 1986. "Market Analysis, Technical Change and Income Distribution in Semi-Subsistence Agriculture: the Case of Bangladesh," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 1(1).
- Feder, Gershon & O'Mara, Gerald T, 1981. "Farm Size and the Diffusion of Green Revolution Technology," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(1), pages 59-76, October.
- M. Ghaffar Chaudhry, 1982. "Green Revolution and Redistribution of Rural Incomes. Pakistan's Experience," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 21(3), pages 173-205.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:27:y:1988:i:2:p:183-210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.