Balance of Payments-consistent unreported flows
The paper develops a Balance of Payments (BOP)-consistent procedure for estimating unreported flows. Using data between 1990 and 2007, total unreported flows of selected Asian countries is estimated at $4.7 trillion, or more than 80% of the countries’ 2007 total gross domestic product. Results reveal that unreported flows increase with reported and accumulated unreported flows. Financial depth and governance of the real sector decrease unreported flows, whereas economic growth and weakness in the governance of reported flows increase unreported flows. Results also reveal that unbalanced financial and real sector development contributes to the unreported flows. Lastly, the paper argues that there is an opportunity to reverse the situation through a judicious application of capital flow and trade flow management techniques and development and improvement in capacity, including governance, to internalize resources and converting them into desired outcomes.
|Date of creation:||27 Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hermes, N. & Lensink, R., 2000.
"Capital flight and the uncertainty of government policies,"
00C30, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert, 2001. "Capital flight and the uncertainty of government policies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 377-381, June.
- kant, C., 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment and Capital Flight," Princeton Studies in International Economics 80, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- David H. Romer & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "Does Trade Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 379-399, June.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and growth : Schumpeter might be right,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1083, The World Bank.
- Julio Lopez, 1998. "External Financial Fragility and Capital Flight in Mexico," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 257-270.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Léonce Ndikumana & James K. Boyce, 2002.
"Public Debts and Private Assets: Explaining Capital Flight from Sub-Saharan African Countries,"
UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers
2002-02, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Ndikumana, Leonce & Boyce, James K., 2003. "Public Debts and Private Assets: Explaining Capital Flight from Sub-Saharan African Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 107-130, January.
- Léonce Ndikumana, 2002. "Public Debts and Private Assets:Explaining Capital Flight from Sub-Saharan African Countries," Working Papers wp32, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Rodríguez, Francisco & Rodrik, Dani, 1999.
"Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Sceptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2143, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 2001. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 261-338 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: a Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," Working Papers 9912, Economic Research Forum, revised Apr 1999.
- Eggerstedt, Harald & Hall, Rebecca Brideau & Van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1995.
"Measuring capital flight: A case study of Mexico,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 211-232, February.
- Chander Kant, 2002. "What is Capital Flight?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3), pages 341-358, 03.
- repec:fth:wobaco:1083 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edsel L. Beja, 2006. "Was Capital Fleeing Southeast Asia? Estimates from Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Thailand," Asia Pacific Business Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 261-283, July.
- Lensink, Robert & Hermes, Niels & Murinde, Victor, 1998. "The Effect of Financial Liberalization on Capital Flight in African Economies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1349-1368, July.
- Chang, P H Kevin & Claessens, Stijn & Cumby, Robert E, 1997. "Conceptual and Methodological Issues in the Measurement of Capital Flight," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(2), pages 101-19, April.
- Lensink, Robert & Hermes, Niels & Murinde, Victor, 1998.
"Capital flight and political risk,"
98C34, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Beja, Edsel Jr., 2007. "Capital Flight and Economic Performance," MPRA Paper 4885, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Sep 2007.
- Michael P. Dooley, 1988. "Capital Flight: A Response to Differences in Financial Risks," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(3), pages 422-436, September.
- Eswar S. Prasad & Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2007.
"Foreign Capital and Economic Growth,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 38(1), pages 153-230.
- Prasad, Eswar & Rajan, Raghuram G. & Subramanian, Arvind, 2007. "Foreign Capital and Economic Growth," IZA Discussion Papers 3186, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eswar S. Prasad & Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2007. "Foreign Capital and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 13619, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anke Hoeffler & Catherine A. Pattillo & Paul Collier, 1999.
"Flight Capital as a Portfolio Choice,"
IMF Working Papers
99/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Bhattacharya, Rina, 1999. "Capital flight under uncertainty about domestic taxation and trade liberalization," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 365-387, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21699. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.