The Economic Exchange Rate Exposure: Evidence for a Small Open Economy
This study examines the economic exchange rate exposure for 22 industries in Pakistan. The key findings of the study are as follows. Firstly, it shows that industry-level share values are statistically significantly influenced by changes in the PKR/US-dollar exchange rate in general. Secondly it reports a statistically significant lagged response of stock values to exchange rate change. Finally, the highly capital intensive industries are, however, more exposed to changes in exchange rate as compared to less capital intensive industries. The robustness of the exchange rate exposure does not fall over time.
|Date of creation:||15 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horst Entorf & Jochen Moebert & Katja Sonderhof, 2011.
"The Foreign Exchange Rate Exposure of Nations,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 339-353, April.
- Entorf, Horst & Moebert, Jochen & Sonderhof, Katja, 2006. "The foreign exchange rate exposure of nations," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 169, Darmstadt University of Technology, Department of Law and Economics.
- Entorf, Horst & Möbert, Jochen & Sonderhof, Katja, 2006. "The Foreign Exchange Rate Exposure of Nations," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 36755, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- repec:zbw:darddp:36755 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pritamani, Mahesh D. & Shome, Dilip K. & Singal, Vijay, 2004. "Foreign exchange exposure of exporting and importing firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1697-1710, July.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & Bernard Dumas & Richard C. Marston, 2002.
"Pass-through and Exposure,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 199-231, 02.
- Bodnar, G.M. & Dumas, B. & Marston, R.C., 1998. "Pass-Through and Exposure," Weiss Center Working Papers 98-01, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Dumas, Bernard & Marston, Richard C., 2000. "Pass-through and Exposure," Working Papers 00-4, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Bartov, Eli & Bodnar, Gordon M, 1994. " Firm Valuation, Earnings Expectations, and the Exchange-Rate Exposure Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1755-85, December.
- Kathryn M.E Dominguez & Linda L. Tesar, 2001.
"A Re-Examination of Exchange Rate Exposure,"
465, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Gentry, William M., 1993. "Exchange rate exposure and industry characteristics: evidence from Canada, Japan, and the USA," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-45, February.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & M.H. Franco Wong, 2000. "Estimating Exchange Rate Exposures: Some "Weighty" Issues," NBER Working Papers 7497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Glaum & Marko Brunner & Holger Himmel, 2000. "The DAX and the Dollar: The Economic Exchange Rate Exposure of German Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(4), pages 715-724, December.
- Gao, Ting, 2000. "Exchange rate movements and the profitability of U.S. multinationals," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 117-134, February.
- Jongmoo Jay Choi & Anita Mehra Prasad, 1995. "Exchange Risk Sensitivity and Its Determinants: A Firm and Industry Analysis of U.S. Multinationals," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 24(3), Fall.
- Kent D Miller & Jeffrey J Reuer, 1998. "Firm Strategy and Economic Exposure to Foreign Exchange Rate Movements," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 493-513, September.
- Timothy A Luehrman, 1991. "Exchange Rate Changes and the Distribution of Industry Value," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(4), pages 619-649, December.
- Entorf, Horst & Moebert, Jochen & Sonderhof, Katja, 2007. "The foreign exchange rate rate exposure of nations," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-005, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21500. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.