Perception des obstacles aux activités d'innovation dans les entreprises tunisiennes
[Perception of obstacles to innovation activities in Tunisian firms]
In spite of the considerable effort of the works focused on the identification of conditions and factors favourable to innovation in developing countries, very few contributions concern the analysis of the obstacles impeding or slowing the process of innovation and factors affecting their perceptions. But, the innovation behaviour of firms can be affected by their assessment of barriers and difficulties encountered in the innovation process. This work is dedicated to the analysis of the perceived barriers to innovation activities in Tunisian firms, using the innovation survey developed by the Ministry of Scientific Research, Technology and Competency Development (MSRTDC) in 2005. It advocates a systemic approach to innovation policies which take into account established complementarities. We show that the perception of barriers to innovation is less pronounced for foreign firms and more important for exporters who face competitive pressures, leading to a high perception of barriers related to lack of information technology and lack of qualified personnel. To overcome the barriers to innovation related to excessive economic risks, high costs of innovation or lack of appropriate funding sources, our results suggest an important role of public participation and the foreign capital. Lack of financial resources is also one of the main barriers.
|Date of creation:||19 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sybrand Schim van der Loeff & Pierre Mohnen & Franz Palm & Amaresh K. Tiwari, 2008.
"Financial Constraints and other Obstacles: Are they a Threat to Innovation Activity?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2204, CESifo Group Munich.
- P. Mohnen & F. Palm & S. Loeff & A. Tiwari, 2008. "Financial Constraints and Other Obstacles: are they a Threat to Innovation Activity?," De Economist, Springer, vol. 156(2), pages 201-214, June.
- Mohnen, Pierre & Palm, Franz & Schim van der Loeff, Sybrand & Tiwari, Amaresh, 2008. "Financial Constraints and Other Obstacles: Are they a Threat to Innovation Activity?," MERIT Working Papers 006, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Pierre Mohnen & Lars-Hendrick Röller, 2001.
"Complementarities in Innovation Policy,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Pierre Mohnen & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2000. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CIG Working Papers FS IV 00-18, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Mohnen,Pierre & Roeller,Lars-Hendrik, 2003. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," Research Memorandum 025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Pierre Mohnen & Lars-Hendrick Röller, 2003. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-60, CIRANO.
- Mohnen, Pierre & Röller, Lars-Hendrik, 2001. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2712, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, John & Lin, Zhengxi, 2002.
"Impediments to advanced technology adoption for Canadian manufacturers,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Lin, Zhengxi & Baldwin, John R., 2001. "Impediments to Advanced Technology Adoption for Canadian Manufacturers," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2001173e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Chaminade, Cristina & Edquist, Charles, 2005. "From theory to practice: the use of systems of innovation approach in innovation policy," Papers in Innovation Studies 2005/2, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Alvin K. Klevorick & Richard C. Levin & Richard R. Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 1993.
"On the Sources and Significance of Interindustry Differences in Technological Opportunities,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1052, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Klevorick, Alvin K. & Levin, Richard C. & Nelson, Richard R. & Winter, Sidney G., 1995. "On the sources and significance of interindustry differences in technological opportunities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 185-205, March.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 2002.
"The Financing of Research and Development,"
NBER Working Papers
8773, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn Hall, 2004. "The financing of research and development," Chapters, in: Financial Systems, Corporate Investment in Innovation, and Venture Capital, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 2002. "The Financing of Research and Development," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 35-51, Spring.
- Hall, Bronwyn, 2002. "The Financing of Research and Development," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5rf0x9gz, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 2003. "The Financing of Research and Development," Finance 0303003, EconWPA.
- Hall, Bronwyn H., 2002. "The Financing of Research and Development," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt34c1c643, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Agustí Segarra-Blasco & José García-Quevedo & Mercedes Teruel-Carrizosa, 2007.
"Barriers to Innovation and Public Policy in Catalonia,"
XREAP2007-10, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Nov 2007.
- Agustí Segarra-Blasco & José García-Quevedo & Mercedes Teruel-Carrizosa, 2007. "Barriers to innovation and public policy in Catalonia," Working Papers 2007/6, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- McFadden, Daniel, 1974. "The measurement of urban travel demand," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 303-328, November.
- Rahmouni, Mohieddine & Ayadi, Mohamed & YIldIzoglu, Murat, 2010.
"Characteristics of innovating firms in Tunisia: The essential role of external knowledge sources,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 181-196, August.
- Mohieddine Rahmouni & Mohamed Ayadi & Murat Yildizoglu, 2010. "Characteristics of innovating firms in Tunisia: the essential role of external knowledge sources," Post-Print hal-00645737, HAL.
- Galia, Fabrice & Legros, Diego, 2004. "Complementarities between obstacles to innovation: evidence from France," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1185-1199, October.
- Mansfield, Edwin & Teece, David & Romeo, Anthony, 1979. "Overseas Research and Development by US-Based Firms," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 46(182), pages 187-96, May.
- Harris, Mark N. & Ramful, Preety & Zhao, Xueyan, 2006. "An ordered generalised extreme value model with application to alcohol consumption in Australia," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 782-801, July.
- Nola Hewitt-Dundas, 2006. "Resource and Capability Constraints to Innovation in Small and Large Plants," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 257-277, 04.
- Frederique Savignac, 2008. "Impact Of Financial Constraints On Innovation: What Can Be Learned From A Direct Measure?," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 553-569.
- John Horn, 1965. "A rationale and test for the number of factors in factor analysis," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 30(2), pages 179-185, June.
- Pablo D'Este & Simona Iammarino & Maria Savona & Nick von Tunzelmann, 2008. "What hampers innovation? Evidence from the UK CIS4," SPRU Working Paper Series 168, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Silva, Maria & Leitão, João & Raposo, Mário, 2007. "Barriers to Innovation faced by Manufacturing Firms in Portugal: How to overcome it?," MPRA Paper 5408, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lim, Ee Shiang & Shyamala, Nagaraj, 2007. "Obstacles to innovation : evidence from Malaysian manufacturing firms," MPRA Paper 18077, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2002. "The determinants of national innovative capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 899-933, August.
- Simona Iammarino & Francesca Sanna-Randaccio & Maria Savona, 2007. "The perception of obstacles to innovation. Multinational and domestic firms in Italy," Working Papers of BETA 2007-12, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Dominique Tourigny & Can Le, 2004. "Impediments to innovation faced by Canadian manufacturing firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 217-250.
- Louis Guttman, 1954. "Some necessary conditions for common-factor analysis," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 19(2), pages 149-161, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.