International Competitiveness, Multinational Enterprise Technology Clubs and the Government Interface
The role of government in fostering "Competitiveness" is a major issue in recent industrial public policy debates. In fact, the increased politicization of international business represents one of the most significant changes in business-government relations over the last two decades. During this same time period, we also observe an enormous increase among multinational enterprises in their useage of interfirm partnerships and cooperative strategies in core technologies. This paper evaluates the increasingly important role of government public policy and the interdependencies between governments, technological innovations and the theory of international production. The analysis is guided by the underlying theme of applying heuristically the economic theory of clubs to the theory of international production.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Scholarly Articles 3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J & Markusen, James R, 1989. "Firm-Specific Assets and the Gains from Direct Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(221), pages 41-48, February.
- Harald Trabold, 1995. "Die internationale Wettbewerbsfähigkeit einer Volkswirtschaft," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 64(2), pages 169-185.
- John H Dunning, 1989. "The Study of International Business: A Plea for a More Interdisciplinary Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(3), pages 411-436, September.
- Schelling, Thomas C, 1969. "Models of Segregation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 488-93, May.
- Thomas L Brewer, 1992. "An Issue-Area Approach to the Analysis of MNE-Government Relations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(2), pages 295-309, June.
- Charles Blankart, 1994. "Club governments versus representative governments," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 273-285, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521477185 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1989. " Intra-firm Trade," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(4), pages 325-43.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 1991.
"Are Economists' Traditional Trade Policy Views Still Valid?,"
NBER Working Papers
3793, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Robert E, 1992. "Are Economists' Traditional Trade Policy Views Still Valid?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 804-29, June.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521894753 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oates, Wallace E. & Schwab, Robert M., 1988. "Economic competition among jurisdictions: efficiency enhancing or distortion inducing?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 333-354, April.
- Tucker, Jonathan B., 1991. "Partners and rivals: a model of international collaboration in advanced technology," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(01), pages 83-120, December.
- McGuire, Martin, 1974. "Group Segregation and Optimal Jurisdictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 112-32, Jan.-Feb..
- Palfrey, Thomas R. & Rosenthal, Howard, 1984. "Participation and the provision of discrete public goods: a strategic analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-193, July.
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1992.
[Intra-Firm Trade]," MPRA Paper 21033, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17983. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.