Organized crime and regional development. A review of the Italian case
This paper offers a review of the effects of organized crime on regional economic development, with particular reference to the case of Italy. After reviewing the empirical studies that analyse the relationship between crime and economic development, the paper examines the regional distribution and the social costs of some crimes (in particular extortion) that can be linked to mafia type criminality.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nilsson, Anna & Agell, Jonas, 2003.
"Crime, Unemployment and Labor Market Programs in Turbulent Times,"
Research Papers in Economics
2003:13, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Nilsson, Anna & Agell, Jonas, 2003. "Crime, unemployment and labor market programs in turbulent times," Working Paper Series 2003:14, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Roberto Basile, 2002. "The Locational Determinants of Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Plants in Italy: Preliminary Results," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 92(4), pages 61-92, July-Augu.
- Gary S. Becker, 1968.
"Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 169.
- Daniele V., 2005. "Perché le imprese estere non investono al Sud?," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 795-818.
- Daniele, Vittorio, 2007.
"Criminalità e investimenti esteri. Un’analisi per le province italiane
[The effect of organized crime on Foreign Investments. An Empirical Analysis for the Italian Provinces]," MPRA Paper 6417, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ehrlich, Isaac, 1973. "Participation in Illegitimate Activities: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 521-65, May-June.
- Centorrino M. & Ofria F., 2008. "Organized crime and labour productivity in the Mezzogiorno: an application of the "Kaldor-Verdoorn" model," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 163-188.
- Paolo Buonanno, 2003. "The Socioeconomic Determinants of Crime. A Review of the Literature," Working Papers 63, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2003.
- Vittorio Daniele, 2007. "Incentivi economici e disincentivi di contesto: gli investimenti esteri nel Mezzogiorno," RIVISTA DI ECONOMIA E STATISTICA DEL TERRITORIO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2007(2), pages 5-34.
- Stigler, George J, 1970.
"The Optimum Enforcement of Laws,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(3), pages 526-36, May-June.
- Donato Masciandaro, 1999. "Money Laundering: the Economics of Regulation," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 225-240, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16547. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.