Criminal justice institutions as a common pool: the 19th century analysis of Edwin Chadwick
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Robert B. Ekelund, Jr. & Edward O. Price III, 1979. "Sir Edwin Chadwick on Competition and the Social Control of Industry: Railroads," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 213-239, Summer.
- Steven Shavell & A. Mitchell Polinsky, 2000. "The Economic Theory of Public Enforcement of Law," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(1), pages 45-76, March.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974. "Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach," NBER Chapters,in: Essays in the Economics of Crime and Punishment, pages 1-54 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George J. Stigler, 1974. "The Optimum Enforcement of Laws," NBER Chapters,in: Essays in the Economics of Crime and Punishment, pages 55-67 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker & George J. Stigler, 1974. "Law Enforcement, Malfeasance, and Compensation of Enforcers," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Crain, William Mark & Ekelund, Robert B, Jr, 1976. "Chadwick and Demsetz on Competition and Regulation," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(1), pages 149-162, April.
- Hebert, Robert F, 1977. "Edwin Chadwick and the Economics of Crime," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(4), pages 539-550, October.
- Ehrlich, Isaac, 1973. "Participation in Illegitimate Activities: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 521-565, May-June.
- Ekelund, Robert B, Jr & Ford, George S, 1997. "Nineteenth Century Urban Market Failure?: Chadwick on Funeral Industry Regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 27-51, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Koyama, Mark, 2012. "The Law and Economics of Private Prosecutions in Industrial Revolution England," MPRA Paper 40500, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark Koyama, 2012.
"Prosecution Associations in Industrial Revolution England: Private Providers of Public Goods?,"
The Journal of Legal Studies,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(1), pages 95-130.
- M Koyama, 2011. "Prosecution Associations in Industrial Revolution England: Private Providers of Public Goods?," Centre for Historical Economics and Related Research at York (CHERRY) Discussion Papers 11/01, CHERRY, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Anthony de Jasay, 2008. "On the Monopoly of Rule Enforcement," Journal of Private Enterprise, The Association of Private Enterprise Education, vol. 23(Spring 20), pages 135-148.
- Nicholas A. Curott & Edward Peter Stringham, 2010. "The Historical Development of Public Policing, Prosecution and Punishment," Chapters,in: Handbook on the Economics of Crime, chapter 5 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Benjamin Powell & Edward Stringham, 2009.
"Public choice and the economic analysis of anarchy: a survey,"
Springer, vol. 140(3), pages 503-538, September.
- Powell, Benjamin & Stringham, Edward P., 2008. "Public Choice and the Economic Analysis of Anarchy: A Survey," Working Papers 2008-7, Suffolk University, Department of Economics.
- Powell, Benjamin & Stringham, Edward, 2009. "Public choice and the economic analysis of anarchy: a survey," MPRA Paper 26097, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert B. Ekelund Jr & Edward O. Price III, 2012. "The Economics of Edwin Chadwick," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 14915, April.
- Andrew Young, 2015.
"From Caesar to Tacitus: changes in early Germanic governance circa 50 BC-50 AD,"
Springer, vol. 164(3), pages 357-378, September.
- Andrew T. Young, 2014. "From Caesar to Tacitus: Changes in Early Germanic Governance circa 50 BC-50 AD," Working Papers 14-37, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Fred S. McChesney, 2010. "The Economic Analysis of Corruption," Chapters,in: Handbook on the Economics of Crime, chapter 9 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Blackstone, Erwin A. & Buck, Andrew J. & Hakim, Simon, 2005. "Evaluation of alternative policies to combat false emergency calls," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 233-242, May.
- Daniel D’Amico, 2010. "The prison in economics: private and public incarceration in Ancient Greece," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 461-482, December.
- Garoupa Nuno & Klerman Daniel M., 2010. "Corruption and Private Law Enforcement: Theory and History," Review of Law & Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 75-96, April.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jeborg:v:50:y:2003:i:3:p:271-294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jebo .