The prison in economics: private and public incarceration in Ancient Greece
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Peter T. Leeson, 2009. "The Laws of Lawlessness," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 471-503, June.
- Greif, Avner, 1993. "Contract Enforceability and Economic Institutions in Early Trade: the Maghribi Traders' Coalition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 525-548, June.
- J. Giertz & Peter Nardulli, 1985. "Prison overcrowding," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 71-78, January.
- Nicholas Kyriazis, 2009. "Financing the Athenian state: public choice in the age of Demosthenes," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 109-127, April.
- Russell S. Sobel & Brian J. Osoba, 2009.
"Youth Gangs as Pseudo-Governments Implications for Violent Crime,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 996-1018, April.
- Russell S. Sobel & Brian J. Osoba, 2009. "Youth Gangs as Pseudo-Governments: Implications for Violent Crime," Working Papers 09-09, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Benson, B.L., 1993. "Third Thoughts on Contracting Out," Working Papers 1993_07_01, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- Coase, R H, 1974. "The Lighthouse in Economics," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 357-376, October.
- Elodie Bertrand, 2006. "The Coasean analysis of lighthouse financing: myths and realities," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(3), pages 389-402, May.
- Benson, Bruce L, 1994. "Are Public Goods Really Common Pools? Considerations of the Evolution of Policing and Highways in England," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(2), pages 249-271, April.
- David Skarbek, 2010. "Putting the "Con" into Constitutions: The Economics of Prison Gangs," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(2), pages 183-211.
- Walter Block & William Barnett, 2009. "Coase and Bertrand on lighthouses," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 140(1), pages 1-13, July.
- Baden, John & Stroup, Richard & Thurman, Walter, 1981. "Myths, Admonitions and Rationality: The American Indian as a Resource Manager," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(1), pages 132-143, January.
- Ekelund, Robert B. & Dorton, Cheryl, 2003. "Criminal justice institutions as a common pool: the 19th century analysis of Edwin Chadwick," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 271-294, March.
- Mark S. Peacock, 2006. "The origins of money in Ancient Greece: the political economy of coinage and exchange," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(4), pages 637-650, July.
- Benson, B.L., 1991. "Do we Want the production of Prison Services to be more "Efficient"?," Working Papers 1991_06_06, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
More about this item
KeywordsPublic goods; Market failure; Prisons; Athens; Economic history; N4; N0; P5;
- N4 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation
- N0 - Economic History - - General
- P5 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:pubcho:v:145:y:2010:i:3:p:461-482. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.