Organized crime and labour productivity in the Mezzogiorno: an application of the "Kaldor-Verdoorn" model
This paper verifies if the organised crime ("camorra", "cosa nostra", "'ndrangheta" and "sacra corona unita") has had a negative impact on the growth rate of labour productivity in Italian Regions mostly affected by such criminal phenomena (Calabria, Campania, Puglia and Sicily), during the period 1983-2005. The originality of this study, in comparison with previous ones on this subject, is the insertion of a "proxy" on criminal phenomena (that is the ratio between the homicide committed by "mafia, camorra, cosa nostra, 'ndrangheta and sacra corona unita" and the number of inhabitants in a particular Region) within the known model "Kaldor-Verdoor" that combines the growth rate of labour productivity and other economic variables. The econometric results regarding Southern Regions prove the negative effect of the variable "crime" on the growth rate of labour productivity, particularly in non-tradable sectors. It confirms the need of specific State policies in order to sustain the growth of labour productivity in the Mezzogiorno and to oppose the criminal phenomenon that hinders it.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Daniele, Vittorio, 2007.
"Criminalità e investimenti esteri. Un’analisi per le province italiane
[The effect of organized crime on Foreign Investments. An Empirical Analysis for the Italian Provinces]," MPRA Paper 6417, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1975. "Economic Growth and the Verdoorn Law-A Comment on Mr. Rowthorn's Article," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(340), pages 891-96, December.
- Young, Allyn A., 1928. "Increasing Returns and Economic Progress," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 38, pages 527-542.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1970. "The Case for Regional Policies," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 17(3), pages 337-48, November.
- Bairam, Erkin I, 1987. "The Verdoorn Law, Returns to Scale and Industrial Growth: A Review of the Literature," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(48), pages 20-42, June.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Vittorio Daniele, 2007. "Incentivi economici e disincentivi di contesto: gli investimenti esteri nel Mezzogiorno," RIVISTA DI ECONOMIA E STATISTICA DEL TERRITORIO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2007(2), pages 5-34.
- Ofria Ferdinando, 1998. "L'analisi empirica della produttività nell'industria italiana e divari territoriali: una rassegna della letteratura," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 81-110.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1972. "The Irrelevance of Equilibrium Economics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(328), pages 1237-55, December.
- Ofria Ferdinando, 1997. "Una verifica empirica della "legge di Verdoorn" per il Centro-Nord e il Mezzogiorno (anni 1951-1992)," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 497-520.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Romina Gambacorta, 2004. "Il dibattito sulla legge di Verdoorn: alcuni risultati empirici usando l’analisi di cointegrazione," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 94(3), pages 251-, May-June.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1975. "What Is Wrong with Economic Theory," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 347-57, August.
- Destefanis, Sergio, 2002. "The Verdoorn Law: Some Evidence from Non-parametric Frontier Analysis," MPRA Paper 60954, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rowthorn, R E, 1975. "A Reply to Lord Kaldor's Comment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(340), pages 897-901, December.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mul:jqyfkm:doi:10.1432/27151:y:2008:i:1:p:163-188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.