Impact of Selectivity and Neutrality of trade Policy Incentives on Industrialization of Developing Countries; Implications for NAMA Negotiations
Abstract This author sheds some light on the theoretical arguments on the use of selectivity and uniformity of trade policy in trade and industrialization for targeting industries and firms and provides a brief historical review of practices of developed countries and East Asian countries with particular reference to Republic of Korea. Furthermore, he provides empirical evidence on the impact of non-neutral tariff rates for a sample of 32 developing countries for the period 1980-87 - before important changes towards neutrality of tariff structure of developing countries took place. Further, he outlines preconditions for implementing “selective” (targeted) trade and industrial policies. Yet more, he discusses the implications of the findings of the study for the dynamism of the tariff structure of developing countries, thus for negotiation for NAMA (Non-agricultural market access) in WTO and outlines necessary changes in WTO rule to make them conducive to the interest of developing countries.
|Date of creation:||10 Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shafaeddin, Mehdi, 1988. "Agricultural price policies and the oil boom : Wheat and meat in Iran, 1962-78," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 185-198, May.
- Balassa, Bela, 1975. "Reforming the system of incentives in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 3(6), pages 365-382, June.
- Murphy, Kevin M. & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1989.
"Industrialization and the Big Push,"
3606235, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bell, Martin & Ross-Larson, Bruce & Westphal, Larry E., 1984. "Assessing the performance of infant industries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 101-128.
- Gueorgui Kambourov & Iourii Manovskii, 2009.
"Occupational Specificity Of Human Capital,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(1), pages 63-115, 02.
- Dahlman, Carl J. & Ross-Larson, Bruce & Westphal, Larry E., 1987. "Managing technological development: Lessons from the newly industrializing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 759-775, June.
- Mehdi Shafaeddin & Juan Pizarro, 2010. "The evolution of value added in assembly operations: the case of China and Mexico," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 373-397.
- Shafaeddin, Mehdi, 2008.
"The political Economy of WTO with special reference to NAMA Negotiations,"
10894, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mehdi Shafaeddin, 2010. "The Political Economy of WTO with Special Reference to NAMA Negotiations," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 22(2), pages 175-196, April.
- Grabowski, Richard, 1994. "The successful developmental state: Where does it come from?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 413-422, March.
- Shafaeddin, Mehdi, 2006. "Is The Industrial Policy Relevant In The 21st Century?," MPRA Paper 6643, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kim, June Dong, 1994. "Incidence of Protection: The Case of Korea," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(3), pages 617-29, April.
- Maurizio Zanardi & Alberto Paloni, 2007. "The IMF, World Bank and policy reform," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9823, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- S.M. Shafaeddin, 2005. "Trade Liberalization And Economic Reform In Developing Countries: Structural Change Or De-Industrialization?," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 179, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Yılmaz AKYÜZ, 2005. "The wto negotiations on industrial tariffs: What is at stake for developing countries?," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 20(232), pages 5-35.
- Bruton, H.J., 1998. "A Reconsideration of Import Substitution," Center for Development Economics 156, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Balassa, Bela, 1989. "Tariff policy and taxation in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 281, The World Bank.
- Mehdi SHAFAEDDIN, 1998. "How Did Developed Countries Industrialize? The History Of Trade And Industrial Policy: The Cases Of Great Britain And The Usa," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 139, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- H. W. Arndt, 1955. "External Economies In Economic Growth," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 31(1-2), pages 192-214, 05.
- Sanjaya LALL, 2004.
"Reinventing Industrial Strategy: The Role Of Government Policy In Building Industrial Competitiveness,"
G-24 Discussion Papers
28, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Sanjaya Lall, 2013. "Reinventing Industrial Strategy: The Role Of Government Policy In Building Industrial Competitiveness," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 14(2), pages 785-829, November.
- Sanjaya Lall (QEH), . "Reinventing Industrial Strategy: The Role of Government Policy in Building Industrial Competitiveness," QEH Working Papers qehwps111, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1972. "The Irrelevance of Equilibrium Economics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(328), pages 1237-55, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1989. "Markets, Market Failures, and Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 197-203, May.
- Pack, Howard & Westphal, Larry E., 1986. "Industrial strategy and technological change : Theory versus reality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 87-128, June.
- Yilmaz Akyuz, 2005. "The WTO Negotiations on Industrial Tariffs: What is at Stake for Developing Countries?," Working Papers 2005/8, Turkish Economic Association.
- Streeten, Paul, 1987. "Structural adjustment: A survey of the issues and options," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(12), pages 1469-1482, December.
- Lee, Jaimin, 1995. "Comparative advantage in manufacturing as a determinant of industrialization: The Korean case," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1195-1214, July.
- Ocampo, JoseAntonio, 1986. "New developments in trade theory and LDCs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 129-170, June.
- Yilmaz AkyÃƒÂ¼z, 2005. "The WTO Negotiations on Industrial Tariffs : What is at Stake for Developing Countries?," Trade Working Papers 22080, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Henry J. Bruton, 1998. "A Reconsideration of Import Substitution," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 903-936, June.
- Baldwin, Robert E, 1969. "The Case against Infant-Industry Tariff Protection," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(3), pages 295-305, May/June.
- Shafaeddin, Mehdi, 2006. "Does trade openness helps or hinders industrialization?," MPRA Paper 4371, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leibenstein, Harvey, 1989. "Organizational economics and institutions as missing elements in economic development analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(9), pages 1361-1373, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.