Axiomatic foundation for Lindahl pricing in the NIMBY context
The siting of public facilities, such as prisons, airports or incinerators for hazardous waste typically faces social rejection by local populations (the "NIMBY" syndrome, for Not In My BackYard). These public goods exhibit a private bad aspect which creates an asymmetry: all involved communities benet from their existence, but only one (the host community) bears the local negative externality. We view the siting problem as a cost sharing issue and provide an axiomatic foundation for Lindahl pricing in this context. The set of axioms we introduce are specically designed to overcome the asymmetry of the problem.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jérémy Laurent-Lucchetti & Justin Leroux, 2007.
"Choosing and Sharing,"
Cahiers de recherche
07-13, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- David P�rez-Castrillo & David Wettstein, 2002. "Choosing Wisely: A Multibidding Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1577-1587, December.
- Toyotaka Sakai, 2012. "Fair waste pricing: an axiomatic analysis to the NIMBY problem," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 50(2), pages 499-521, June.
- Minehart, Deborah & Neeman, Zvika, 2002. "Effective Siting of Waste Treatment Facilities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 303-324, March.
- Fischbeck, Paul & Vajjhala, Shalini, 2006.
"Quantifying Siting Difficulty: A Case Study of U.S. Transmission Line Siting,"
dp-06-03, Resources For the Future.
- Vajjhala, Shalini P. & Fischbeck, Paul S., 2007. "Quantifying siting difficulty: A case study of US transmission line siting," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 650-671, January.
- Marchetti Nicolas & Serra Daniel, 2003. "A cooperative game for siting noxious facilities: theory and experimental design," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(22), pages 1-8.
- Herve Moulin, 2004. "Fair Division and Collective Welfare," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633116, June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2003:i:22:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- O'Sullivan Arthur, 1993. "Voluntary Auctions for Noxious Facilities: Incentives to Participate and the Efficiency of Siting Decisions," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages S12-S26, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14930. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.