Axiomatic foundation for Lindahl pricing in the NIMBY context
The siting of public facilities, such as prisons, airports or incinerators for hazardous waste typically faces social rejection by local populations (the "NIMBY" syndrome, for Not In My BackYard). These public goods exhibit a private bad aspect which creates an asymmetry: all involved communities benet from their existence, but only one (the host community) bears the local negative externality. We view the siting problem as a cost sharing issue and provide an axiomatic foundation for Lindahl pricing in this context. The set of axioms we introduce are specically designed to overcome the asymmetry of the problem.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurent-Lucchetti, Jérémy & Leroux, Justin, 2009.
"Choosing and Sharing,"
14929, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2003:i:22:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Vajjhala, Shalini P. & Fischbeck, Paul S., 2007.
"Quantifying siting difficulty: A case study of US transmission line siting,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 650-671, January.
- Fischbeck, Paul & Vajjhala, Shalini, 2006. "Quantifying Siting Difficulty: A Case Study of U.S. Transmission Line Siting," Discussion Papers dp-06-03, Resources For the Future.
- Toyotaka Sakai, 2012. "Fair waste pricing: an axiomatic analysis to the NIMBY problem," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 50(2), pages 499-521, June.
- Minehart, Deborah & Neeman, Zvika, 2002. "Effective Siting of Waste Treatment Facilities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 303-324, March.
- Herve Moulin, 2004. "Fair Division and Collective Welfare," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633116, December.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988.
"The Theory of Environmental Policy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521322249, May.
- O'Sullivan Arthur, 1993. "Voluntary Auctions for Noxious Facilities: Incentives to Participate and the Efficiency of Siting Decisions," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 12-26, July.
- David Pérez-Castrillo & David Wettstein, 2002. "Choosing Wisely: A Multibidding Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1577-1587, December.
- Marchetti Nicolas & Serra Daniel, 2003. "A cooperative game for siting noxious facilities: theory and experimental design," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(22), pages 1-8.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14930. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.