Institutional Quality, Conflict and Aid Dependency
This study attempts to explore the impact of foreign aid on the quality of governance and how conflicts, whether internal or external affect the overall situation. Conflicts affect governance directly by creating instability which adversely affects economic development as investment climate is fouled and output drops leading to fall in revenues. In this vicious cycle governance is left with no funds to improve institutional quality. Annual data from 1984 to 2010 have been used for the Asian developing economies. The results indicate a negative impact from the confluence of foreign aid in a climate of conflicts that leads to institutional deterioration. These results are robust for various alternative specifications.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svensson, Jakob, 1998.
"Foreign aid and rent-seeking,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1880, The World Bank.
- Boone, Peter, 1996. "Politics and the effectiveness of foreign aid," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 289-329, February.
- Svensson, J., 1995.
"When Is Foreign Aid Policy Credible? Aid Dependence and Conditionality,"
600, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Jakob, 2000. "When is foreign aid policy credible? Aid dependence and conditionality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 61-84, February.
- Svensson, Jakob, 1997. "When is Foreign Aid Policy Credible? - Aid Dependence and Conditionality," Seminar Papers 600, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Jakob, 1997. "When is foreign aid policy credible : aid dependence and conditionality," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1740, The World Bank.
- Rodrik, Dani & Subramanian, Arvind & Trebbi, Francesco, 2002.
"Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions Over Geography and Integration in Economic Development,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian & Francesco Trebbi, 2004. "Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions Over Geography and Integration in Economic Development," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 131-165, 06.
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian & Francesco Trebbi, 2002. "Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions over Geography and Integration in Economic Development," NBER Working Papers 9305, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2005.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(5), pages 949-995, October.
- Collier, Paul & Hoeffler, Anke, 2002.
"Aid, policy, and growth in post-conflict societies,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2902, The World Bank.
- Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2007. "Does Aid Affect Governance?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 322-327, May.
- Simon Feeny, 2005. "The Impact of Foreign Aid on Economic Growth in Papua New Guinea," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(6), pages 1092-1117.
- Eskander Alvi & Debasri Mukherjee & Elias Kedir Shukralla, 2008. "Aid, Policies, and Growth in Developing Countries: A New Look at the Empirics," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 693-706, January.
- Muhammed Islam, 2005. "Regime changes, economic policies and the effect of aid on growth," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(8), pages 1467-1492.
- Simon Feeny & Mark McGillivray, 2010. "Aid and Growth in Small Island Developing States," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(5), pages 897-917.
- Busse, Matthias & Gröning, Steffen, 2009.
"Does foreign aid improve governance?,"
Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 76-78, August.
- Busse, Matthias & Groening, Steffen, 2010. "Does Foreign Aid Improve Governance?," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010 6, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Manuel Oechslin, 2006. "Foreign Aid, Political Instability, and Economic Growth," IEW - Working Papers 310, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1995. "Institutions And Economic Performance: Cross-Country Tests Using Alternative Institutional Measures," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 207-227, November.
- Dalgaard, Carl-Johan & Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 2002.
"On the Empirics of Foreign Aid and Growth,"
63696, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert G. Murphy & Nicholas G. Tresp, 2006. "Government Policy and the Effectiveness of Foreign Aid," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 647, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 29 Aug 2006.
- Stephen Knack, 2001. "Aid Dependence and the Quality of Governance: Cross-Country Empirical Tests," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 310-329, October.
- David Dollar & Craig Burnside, 2000.
"Aid, Policies, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 847-868, September.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1999. "The World Bank at the Millennium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(459), pages F577-97, November.
- Easterly, William, 1999. "The ghost of financing gap: testing the growth model used in the international financial institutions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 423-438, December.
- C-J. Dalgaard & H. Hansen, 2001. "On Aid, Growth and Good Policies," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6), pages 17-41.
- Douglass C, North, 1992. "Institutions, Ideology, and Economic Performance," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 11(3), pages 477-496, Winter.
- Rati Ram, 2004. "Recipient country's 'policies' and the effect of foreign aid on economic growth in developing countries: additional evidence," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 201-211.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:wpaper:2013:94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.