Governance and the Effectiveness of Foreign Capital
This study empirically investigates the impact of foreign capital and governance on the economic growth by employing country level data from 1984 to 2010 for Asian developing countries. Governance; foreign aid and FDI positively affect the growth (per capita income) however, higher levels of debt are associated with slow growth rates. Results of the study are statistically highly significant and in accordance to prior expectations and economic theory. The robustness of the results is confirmed by performing the sensitivity analysis.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Unbreen Qayyum & Adnan Haider, 2012. "Foreign Aid, External Debt and Economic Growth Nexus in Low-Income Countries: The Role of Institutional Quality," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 51(4), pages 97-116.
- Qayyum, Unbreen & Din, Musleh-ud & Haider, Adnan, 2014.
"Foreign aid, external debt and governance,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 41-52.
- Qayyum, Unbreen & Musleh ud, Din & Haider, Adnan, 2012. "Foreign Aid, External Debt and Governance," MPRA Paper 40260, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Unbreen Qayyum & Musleh-ud Din & Adnan Haider, 2013. "Foreign Aid, External Debt and Governance," SBP Working Paper Series 64, State Bank of Pakistan, Research Department.
- William Easterly & Ross Levine, 1997. "Africa's Growth Tragedy: Policies and Ethnic Divisions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1203-1250.
- Easterly, W & Levine, R, 1996. "Africa's Growth Tragedy : Policies and Ethnic Divisions," Papers 536, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Paul Collier, 2006. "African Growth: Why a 'Big Push'?," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(2), pages 188-211, December.
- Baum, Anja & Checherita-Westphal, Cristina & Rother, Philipp, 2013. "Debt and growth: New evidence for the euro area," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 809-821.
- Baum, Anja & Checherita-Westphal, Cristina & Rother, Philipp, 2012. "Debt and growth: new evidence for the euro area," Working Paper Series 1450, European Central Bank.
- Unbreen Qayyum, 2013. "Institutional Quality, Conflict and Aid Dependency," PIDE-Working Papers 2013:94, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Ndulu,Benno J. & O'Connell,Stephen A. & Bates,Robert H. & Collier,Paul & Soludo,Chukwuma C., 2009. "The Political Economy of Economic Growth in Africa, 1960â€“2000," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521127752, September.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2000. "The New Institutional Economics: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 595-613, September.
- Dani Rodrik, 1996. "Understanding Economic Policy Reform," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 9-41, March.
- Khilji, Nasir M. & Zampelli, Ernest M., 1991. "The fungibility of US assistance to developing countries and the impact on recipient expanditures: a case study of Pakistan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1095-1105, August.
- Qazi Masood Ahmed & Mohammad Sabihuddin Butt & Shaista Alam, 2000. "Economic Growth, Export, and External Debt Causality: The Case of Asian Countries," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 591-608.
- Buchanan, Bonnie G. & Le, Quan V. & Rishi, Meenakshi, 2012. "Foreign direct investment and institutional quality: Some empirical evidence," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 81-89.
- Paolo Mauro, 1995. "Corruption and Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 681-712.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1999. "The World Bank at the Millennium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(459), pages 577-597, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:wpaper:2014:98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.