Electricity Demand in Wholesale Italian Market
In this paper we pursue two objectives: firstly we construct a theory based behavioral model of electricity demand in the Italian market; secondly we measure demand elasticity at hourly level, directly from consumer behavior. This is a novel approach providing the first attempt in the literature to estimate demand elasticity using individual demand bid data, in the Italian Power Exchange (IPEX). Econometric estimation allows us to identify robust results, showing that elasticity varies significantly with: time of the day; day of the week; season of the year; pattern of line congestion, as well as according to the level of equilibrium price. This has a policy implication: fostering more competition on the supply side could yield lower equilibrium prices and proportionately much higher quantities, for a lower offer curve, shifted to the right, would intersect a flatter portion of the demand curve.
|Date of creation:||15 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Pascoli, 20 - 06123 Perugia|
Phone: +39 075 5855279
Fax: +39 075 5855299
Web page: http://www.econ.unipg.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marvin J. Horowitz, 2007. "Changes in Electricity Demand in the United States from the 1970s to 2003," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 93-120.
- Lester D. Taylor, 1975. "The Demand for Electricity: A Survey," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(1), pages 74-110, Spring.
- Bollino, Carlo Andrea, 1987. "Gaids: a generalised version of the almost ideal demand system," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 199-202.
- Kuo S. Huang & Sophia Wu Huang, 2012. "Consumer welfare effects of increased food and energy prices," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(19), pages 2527-2536, July.
- Michael Parti & Cynthia Parti, 1980. "The Total and Appliance-Specific Conditional Demand for Electricity in the Household Sector," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 309-321, Spring.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004.
"General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1229, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2004. "‘General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels’," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0435, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," IZA Discussion Papers 1240, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Newbery, D., 2004.
"Electricity Liberalisation in Britain: the quest for a satisfactory wholesale market design,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0469, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- David M. Newbery, 2005. "Electricity liberalization in Britain: The quest for a satisfactory wholesale market design," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 43-70.
- Peter C. Reiss & Matthew W. White, 2008. "What changes energy consumption? Prices and public pressures," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(3), pages 636-663.
- Labandeira, Xavier & Labeaga, José M. & López-Otero, Xiral, 2012.
"Estimation of elasticity price of electricity with incomplete information,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 627-633.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Xiral López-Otero, 2010. "Estimation of Elasticity Price of Electricity with Incomplete Information," Working Papers 01-2010, Economics for Energy.
- Xavier Labandeira Villot & José María Labeaga & Xiral López-Otero, 2009. "Estimation of Elasticity Price of Electricity with Incomplete Information," Working Papers 2009-18, FEDEA.
- Dennis J. Aigner & Jerry A. Hausman, 1980. "Correcting for Truncation Bias in the Analysis of Experiments in Time-of-Day Pricing of Electricity," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 131-142, Spring.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1990. "The Principal-Agent Relationship with an Informed Principal: The Case of Private Values," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 379-409, March.
- Peter C. Reiss & Matthew W. White, 2005. "Household Electricity Demand, Revisited," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 853-883.
- Massimo Filippini, 1999. "Swiss residential demand for electricity," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(8), pages 533-538.
- Frank A. Wolak, 2003. "Measuring Unilateral Market Power in Wholesale Electricity Markets: The California Market, 1998–2000," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 425-430, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pia:wpaper:108/2012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Davide Castellani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.