Hourly Electricity Demand in Italian Market
In the existing literature only recently there has been attention to consumer demand for electricity in organized markets. In this paper we assume a theoretical model of demand behavior and we estimate a complete system for hourly electricity demand. We use individual demand bid data in the Italian Power Exchange (IPEX). The novel contribution of this paper is twofold. Firstly we construct a theory based behavioral model of hourly electricity demand for agents acting in the Italian market; secondly we measure empirically demand behavior at hourly level, i.e. expenditure and price elasticities directly from consumer behavior. Econometric estimation of a multi-stage demand system weakly separable allows us to identify three robust results, showing that: (i) own price elasticity varies significantly with time of the day as well as according to the level of equilibrium price, (ii) hourly electricity demand exhibits both complementarity and substitutability characteristics, (iii) unconditional elasticity values are different from conditional ones, thus confirming validity of multistage model. On the basis of econometric estimations we can ascertain that elasticity tends to be generally higher when hourly price peak. Considering price elasticity, electricity exhibits both substitutability and complementarity characteristic in different hours of the day, the former during the day and the latter during the night. Considering expenditure elasticity, electricity appears to be a normal good during night time and a luxury good during day time. Policy implications are interesting, because appropriate regulation can favor consumer behavior adjustment shaving consumption away from peak prices, thus yielding lower aggregate equilibrium expenditures because consumers can shift more easily their consumption from peak price hours to off peak price. So we advocate reforming the actual dual administered price structure to introduce real time pricing options for Italian consumers.
|Date of creation:||15 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Pascoli, 20 - 06123 Perugia|
Phone: +39 075 5855279
Fax: +39 075 5855299
Web page: http://www.econ.unipg.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, November.
- Peter C. Reiss & Matthew W. White, 2005. "Household Electricity Demand, Revisited," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 853-883.
- Kuo S. Huang & Sophia Wu Huang, 2012. "Consumer welfare effects of increased food and energy prices," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(19), pages 2527-2536, July.
- Cummings, Ronald G & Harrison, Glenn W & Rutstrom, E Elisabet, 1995. "Homegrown Values and Hypothetical Surveys: Is the Dichotomous Choice Approach Incentive-Compatible?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 260-66, March.
- Peter C. Reiss & Matthew W. White, 2008. "What changes energy consumption? Prices and public pressures," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(3), pages 636-663.
- David L. Edgerton, 1997. "Weak Separability and the Estimation of Elasticities in Multistage Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 62-79.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1990. "The Principal-Agent Relationship with an Informed Principal: The Case of Private Values," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 379-409, March.
- Simona Bigerna & Carlo Andrea BOLLINO, 2012.
"Electricity Demand in Wholesale Italian Market,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
108/2012, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Andrés Ramírez Hassan, 2012. "A Multi-Stage Almost Ideal Demand System: the case of beef demand in Colombia," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF 009687, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- Labandeira, Xavier & Labeaga, José M. & López-Otero, Xiral, 2012.
"Estimation of elasticity price of electricity with incomplete information,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 627-633.
- Xavier Labandeira Villot & José María Labeaga & Xiral López-Otero, 2009. "Estimation of Elasticity Price of Electricity with Incomplete Information," Working Papers 2009-18, FEDEA.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Xiral López-Otero, 2010. "Estimation of Elasticity Price of Electricity with Incomplete Information," Working Papers 01-2010, Economics for Energy.
- Massimo Filippini, 1999. "Swiss residential demand for electricity," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(8), pages 533-538.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pia:wpaper:121/2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Davide Castellani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.