Multimarket Modeling of Agricultural Supply when Crop Land Is a Quasi-fixed Input: A Note
Modeling of crop supply frequently adopts separate treatment of area and yield variables. The advantage of this approach is that it conveniently imposes the property of land being a quasi-fixed factor, at least on the aggregate. Given an agricultural land frontier, total supply of land may be fixed in the short run. Various crop multimarket models either ignore this property, thus foregoing the advantage of the area x yield formulation, or impose the aggregate land constraint in an ad hoc fashion. This note proposes a parsimonious area x yield framework of agricultural supply that is firmly rooted in optimization and requires minimal priors for calibration. The framework is designed for direct application in multicommodity modeling of agricultural supply and demand.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael M. Alba & Roehlano M. Briones, 2009. "A method for calibrating input (and output) price elasticities," Philippine Review of Economics, University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society, vol. 46(2), pages 63-89, December.
- Carlos Arnade & David Kelch, 2007. "Estimation of Area Elasticities from a Standard Profit Function," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(3), pages 727-737.
- Bouis, Howarth E., 1996.
"A food demand system based on demand for characteristics: If there is 'curvature' in the Slutsky matrix, what do the curves look like and why?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 239-266, December.
- Bouis, Howarth E., 1989. "A Food Demand System Based On Demand For Characteristics: If There Is "Curvature" In The Slutsky Matrix, What Do The Curves Look Like And Why?," 1989 Conference (33rd), February 7-9, 1989, Christchurch, New Zealand 144663, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Kasryno, Faisal & Perez, Nicostrato D., 1998. "Output response to prices and public investment in agriculture: Indonesian food crops," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 333-352, April.
- Coyle, Barry T., 1993. "On Modeling Systems Of Crop Acreage Demands," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Theil, Henri, 1969. "A Multinomial Extension of the Linear Logit Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-59, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2011-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.