Estimating input allocation for farm supply models
When building an economic model for supply analysis the aim is to model a decision making process of one or more agents which fits the observed practice as good as possible. Hereby the modeller is often confronted with incomplete information about the production process; particular crop specific input data are rarely available. The problem of defining activity related technology inputs coefficients is not new. A good deal of literature comes from the mathematical programming perspective, where input coefficients were estimated using a standard linear regression function to fully represent the mathematical program. However this approach is a pure technical device and may result in an inconsistent model. The author of the paper wants to investigate whether it is possible, employing proper estimation techniques, to simultaneously estimate all unknown coefficients of a mathematical farm supply model. This includes the estimation of parameters of the non linear cost function, used to calibrate and catch the simulation behaviour and the crop specific input coefficients. It is shown that a simultaneous estimation of all parameters improves the goodness of fit of the estimated parameters and that such an approach is technically feasible.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, Douglas & Lence, Sergio H., 1998.
"Estimation of Multi-Output Production Functions with Incomplete Data: A Generalized Maximum Entropy Approach,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
1219, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lence, Sergio H & Miller, Douglas J, 1998. "Estimation of Multi-output Production Functions with Incomplete Data: A Generalised Maximum Entropy Approach," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(2), pages 188-209.
- Shumway, C. Richard, 1995. "Recent Duality Contributions In Production Economics," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Asunka, Samuel & Shumway, C. Richard, 1996. "Allocatable Fixed Inputs And Jointness In Agricultural Production: More Implications," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(2), October.
- Ron C. Mittelhammer & Scott C. Matulich & D. Bushaw, 1981. "On Implicit Forms of Multiproduct-Multifactor Production Functions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 63(1), pages 164-168.
- Jeroen Buysse & Bruno Fernagut & Olivier Harmignie & Bruno Henry de Frahan & Ludwig Lauwers & Philippe Polomé & Guido Van Huylenbroeck & Jef Van Meensel, 2007.
"Farm-based modelling of the EU sugar reform: impact on Belgian sugar beet suppliers,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(1), pages 21-52, March.
- Jeroen Buysse & Bruno Fernagut & Olivier Harmignie & Bruno Henry de Frahan & Ludwig Lauwers & Philippe Polomé & Guido Van Huylenbroeck & Jef Van Meensel, 2007. "Farm-based modelling of the EU sugar reform: impact on Belgian sugar beet suppliers," Post-Print halshs-00359076, HAL.
- Hasenkamp, Georg, 1976. "A study of multiple-output production functions : Klein's railroad study revisited," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 253-262, August.
- Yves Léony & Ludo Peeters & Maurice Quinqu & Yves Surry, 1999. "The Use of Maximum Entropy to Estimate Input-Output Coefficients From Regional Farm Accounting Data," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 425-439.
- Guyomard, Herve & Baudry, Marc & Carpentier, Alain, 1996. "Estimating Crop Supply Response in the Presence of Farm Programmes: Application to the CAP," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(4), pages 401-420.
- P. Midmore, 1990. "Estimating Input-Output Coefficients From Regional Farm Data-A Comment," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 108-111.
- A. Moxey & R. Tiffin, 1994. "Estimating Linear Production Coefficients From Farm Business Survey Data: A Note," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 381-385.
- C. Richard Shumway & Rulon D. Pope & Elizabeth K. Nash, 1984. "Allocatable Fixed Inputs and Jointness in Agricultural Production: Implications for Economic Modeling," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 66(1), pages 72-78.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa107:6469. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.