Impact Assessment of National and Regional Policies Using the Philippine Regional General Equilibrium Model (PRGEM)
For the Philippines, quantitative policy analysis should incorporate regional differences in welfare and economic structure, which arise partly from geographic constraints. However, existing CGE models offer limited analysis of regional effects or national impacts of region-specific interventions, owing to the absence of key regional data. This study formulates a regional CGE model that overcomes these limitations. Applications of the model yield the following results: i) completion of the tariff reform program in agriculture will contract some import-competing sectors in lagging regions, but improve welfare across all regions; ii) massive investments in marketing infrastructure promise bigger pay-offs, though with a trade-off between the size and spread of welfare gains across regions; iii) combining trade reform with marketing infrastructure investments mitigate some of the contractionary effects from the former; however the absence of welfare synergies suggest that the two sets of policies can be pursued independently.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Param Silvapulle & Sisira Jayasuriya, 1994. "Testing For Philippines Rice Market Integration: A Multiple Cointegration Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 369-380.
- Mendoza, Meyra Sebello & Rosegrant, Mark W., 1995. "Pricing behavior in Philippine corn markets: implications for market efficiency," Research reports 101, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Coxhead, Ian A. & Jayasuriya, Sisira, 1994. "Trade and Tax Policy Reform and the Environment: The Economics of Soil Erosion in Developing Countries," 1994 Conference (38th), February 8-10, 1994, Wellington, New Zealand 148111, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Ian Coxhead & Agnes Rola & Kwansoo Kim, 2001. "How Do National Markets and Price Policies Affect Land Use at the Forest Margin? Evidence from the Philippines," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(2), pages 250-267.
- Philip D. Adams & Mark Horridge & Glyn Wittwer, 2003. "MMRF-GREEN: A Dynamic Multi-Regional Applied General Equilibrium Model of the Australian Economy, Based on the MMR and MONASH Models," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-140, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Cororaton, Caesar B. & Cockburn, John & Corong, Erwin, 2005. "Doha scenarios, trade reforms, and poverty in the Philippines," MTID discussion papers 86, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Habito, Cielito F., 1986. "A General Equilibrium Model for Philippine Agricultural Policy Analysis," Philippine Journal of Development JPD 1986 Vol. XIII Nos. 1, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Mark Partridge & Dan Rickman, 2010.
"Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) Modelling for Regional Economic Development Analysis,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(10), pages 1311-1328.
- Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 2007. "CGE Modeling for Regional Economic Development Analysis," Economics Working Paper Series 0706, Oklahoma State University, Department of Economics and Legal Studies in Business.
- Elina Eskola, . "Improving Trade and Transport Services in Tanzania: A General Equilibrium Approach," Discussion Papers 05-22, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics, revised Nov 2005.
- IAN COXHEAD & Agnes Rola, 1999. "Do National Markets and Price Policies Affect Land Use at the Forest Margin? Evidence from the Philippines," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 426, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Intal, Ponciano Jr. S. & Ranit, Luis Osman, 2001. "Literature Review of the Agricultural Distribution Services Sector: Performance, Efficiency and Research Issues," Discussion Papers DP 2001-14, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Caesar B. Cororaton & John Cockburn, 2006. "WTO, Trade Liberalization, and Rural Poverty in the Philippines: Is Rice Special? ," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 28(3), pages 370-377.
- Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 1998. "Regional Computable General Equilibrium Modeling: A Survey and Critical Appraisal," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 21(3), pages 205-248, December.
- repec:phd:pjdevt:jpd_1986_vol._xiii_nos._1&2-j is not listed on IDEAS
- Montalvo, Jose G., 2006. "Regional evolutions in labor markets in the Philippines: A dynamic approach," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 448-477, June.
- Rietveld, Piet, 1989. "Infrastructure and Regional Development: A Survey of Multiregional Economic Models," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 23(4), pages 255-74.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2009-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.