How Effective are Capital Controls? Evidence from Malaysia
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Athukorala, Prema-Chandra & Jongwanich, Juthathip, 2012. "How Effective are Capital Controls? Evidence from Malaysia," Asian Development Review, Asian Development Bank, vol. 29(2), pages 1-47.
References listed on IDEAS
- Edison, Hali & Reinhart, Carmen M., 2001. "Stopping hot money," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 533-553, December.
- Montiel, Peter & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1999.
"Do capital controls and macroeconomic policies influence the volume and composition of capital flows? Evidence from the 1990s,"
Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 619-635, August.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Montiel, Peter, 1999. "Do capital controls influence the volume and composition of capital flows? Evidence from the 1990s," MPRA Paper 13710, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Akira Ariyoshi & Andrei A Kirilenko & Inci Ötker & Bernard J Laurens & Jorge I Canales Kriljenko & Karl F Habermeier, 2000. "Capital Controls; Country Experiences with Their Use and Liberalization," IMF Occasional Papers 190, International Monetary Fund.
- Ethan Kaplan & Dani Rodrik, 2002.
"Did the Malaysian Capital Controls Work?,"
NBER Chapters, in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 393-440,
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaplan, Ethan & Rodrik, Dani, 2001. "Did the Malaysian Capital Controls Work?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2754, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ethan Kaplan & Dani Rodrik, 2001. "Did the Malaysian Capital Controls Work?," NBER Working Papers 8142, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaplan, Ethan & Rodrik, Dani, 2001. "Did the Malaysian Capital Controls Work?," Working Paper Series rwp01-008, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2010. "Malaysian Economy in Three Crises," Departmental Working Papers 2010-12, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Anne Krueger & Aaron Tornell, 1999.
"The Role of Bank Restructuring in Recovering from Crises: Mexico 1995-98,"
NBER Working Papers
7042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anne Krueger & Aaron Tornell, 1999. "The Role of Bank Restructuring in Recovering from Crises: Mexico 1995-98," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1872, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Binici, Mahir & Hutchison, Michael & Schindler, Martin, 2010.
"Controlling capital? Legal restrictions and the asset composition of international financial flows,"
Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 666-684, June.
- Mahir Binici & Michael M. Hutchison & Martin Schindler, 2009. "Controlling Capital? Legal Restrictions and the Asset Composition of International Financial Flows," IMF Working Papers 09/208, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin Schindler, 2009. "Measuring Financial Integration: A New Data Set," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(1), pages 222-238, April.
- Mody, Ashoka & Murshid, Antu Panini, 2005. "Growing up with capital flows," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 249-266, January.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2003. "FDI in Crisis and Recovery: Lessons from the 1997-98 Asian Crisis," Departmental Working Papers 2003-04, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hal Hill & Maria Socorro Gochoco- Bautista, 2013. "Perspectives and issues," Chapters, in: Hal Hill & Maria Socorro Gochoco-Bautista (ed.),Asia Rising, chapter 1, pages 3-45, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Bruno, Valentina & Shim, Ilhyock & Shin, Hyun Song, 2017.
"Comparative assessment of macroprudential policies,"
Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 183-202.
- Valentina Bruno & Ilhyock Shim & Hyun Song Shin, 2015. "Comparative assessment of macroprudential policies," BIS Working Papers 502, Bank for International Settlements.
- Zhang, Longmei & Zoli, Edda, 2016. "Leaning against the wind: Macroprudential policy in Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 33-52.
- Aubrey Poon, 2018. "The transmission mechanism of Malaysian monetary policy: a time-varying vector autoregression approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 55(2), pages 417-444, September.
- Li, Jie & Rajan, Ramkishen S., 2015. "Do capital controls make gross equity flows to emerging markets less volatile?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 220-244.
- Sen Gupta, Abhijit & Sengupta, Rajeswari, 2014.
"Capital Flows and Capital Account Management in Selected Asian Economies,"
58982, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sen Gupta, Abhijit & Sengupta, Rajeswari, 2014. "Capital Flows and Capital Account Management in Selected Asian Economies," MPRA Paper 80330, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Apr 2016.
- Abhijit SenGupta & Rajeswari Sengupta, 2014. "Capital flows and capital account management in selected Asian economies," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2014-040, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Gochoco-Bautista, Maria Socorro & Remolona, Eli M., 2012. "Going Regional: How to Deepen ASEAN's Financial Markets," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 300, Asian Development Bank.
- Kitano, Shigeto & Takaku, Kenya, 2020.
"Capital controls, macroprudential regulation, and the bank balance sheet channel,"
Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 63(C).
- Shigeto Kitano & Kenya Takaku, 2017. "Capital Controls, Macroprudential Regulation,and the Bank Balance Sheet Channel," Discussion Paper Series DP2017-18, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, revised Jan 2019.
- Broos, Menno & Ghalanos, Michalis & Kennedy, Bernard & Landbeck, Alexander & Lerner, Christina & Menezes, Paula & Schiavone, Alessandro & Tilley, Thomas & Viani, Francesca & Reinhardt, Dennis & Metzem, 2016. "Dealing with large and volatile capital flows and the role of the IMF," Occasional Paper Series 180, European Central Bank.
- Pornpinun Chantapacdepong & Ilhyock Shim, 2014. "Correlations across Asia-Pacific bond markets and the impact of capital flow measures," BIS Working Papers 472, Bank for International Settlements.
More about this item
KeywordsMalaysia; Capital controls; financial crisis;
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- O53 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:2012-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prema-chandra Athukorala). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/asanuau.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.