The Best of Times and the Worst of Times: Indonesia and Economic Crises
This paper examines the experience of Indonesia during two major crisis episodes, the 1997-98 Asian financial crisis and the 2008-09 global economic recession. In the first episode, Indonesia experienced a deep economic and political crisis, while in the second the impacts were very mild. The paper examines various explanations of these large differences, focused in particular on the contrasting hypotheses of 'good management' and 'good luck'. The comparative Southeast Asian experience is also analyzed.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala, 2006. "Post-crisis export performance: The Indonesian experience in regional perspective," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 177-211.
- Hal Hill, 2000.
"Indonesia: The Strange and Sudden Death of a Tiger Economy,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 117-139.
- Hal Hill, 1999. "Indonesia : The Strange and Sudden Death of a Tiger Economy," UP School of Economics Discussion Papers 199913, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"A Decade of Debt,"
NBER Working Papers
16827, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hal Hill & Jayant Menon, 2011. "Reducing Vulnerability in Transition Economies: Crises and Adjustment in Cambodia," Departmental Working Papers 2011-08, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2010. "Malaysian Economy in Three Crises," Departmental Working Papers 2010-12, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- M Chatib Basri & Hal Hill, 2010.
"Indonesian Growth Dynamics,"
Departmental Working Papers
2010-10, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Peter G. Warr, 2002. "Vulnerability to a Currency Crisis: Lessons from the Asian Experience," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 33-57, 01.
- Muhammad Chatib Basri & Reza Yamora Siregar, 2009. "Navigating Policy Responses at the National Level in the Midst of the Global Financial Crisis: The Experience of Indonesia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 8(3), pages 1-35, October.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973, January.
- Jay K. ROSENGARD & A. PRASETYANTOKO, 2011. "If the Banks are Doing So Well, Why Can't I Get a Loan? Regulatory Constraints to Financial Inclusion in Indonesia," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 6(2), pages 273-296, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:2012-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Zec)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.